litterbox issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-01-2017, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

litterbox issues

Hello fellow cat lovers!

My name is Alicia and I am a born again cat owner lol. I say that because it's been YEARS since I've had a cat (mostly dogs) and feel like I forgot all the important stuff. Our family just adopted Luna a 3mo old orange tabby from the local shelter. After getting her home she of course took her time to check out the new surroundings and even had a cat nap here and there. I set up the litter box in a easily accessible bathroom in the hall that's quiet and we have shown her the box several times. She seems to jump right out when placed in it and we tried pawing the litter for her to get the motions going. However, this evening she had an accident while walking around my bedroom. I know she's still finding her way and may not be instinctively knowing of what to do and where to do it but I definitely could use some guidance. I have since placed her in the box again and even sat in the bathroom with her to help reassure her but she still won't jump in by herself and jumps right back out when placed in. I have noticed her pawing the tile floor outside the box though. Is that a sign she could be getting used to it gradually?

Sorry for such a long 1st post but I want to make sure we get everything as close to right as possible in the very beginning. Also, should I confine her to the bathroom for a bit to give her the opportunity to naturally use the box on her own? The bathroom has plenty of space to roam so that she's not confined in a small spot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Update:

We have successfully made landing in the litterbox since posting Still open to any advice to ensure we continue on this road to Tidy cat

Cat mom to Luna
Dog mom to Annie
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Jr. Cat

Hey Luna,

I am far from a pro but I'll pass on my experiences. Our previous cat of 18+ years passed away in 2014 and in fall 2016 my husband and I adopted an 8 week old feral from a shelter, then a month ago we adopted a rescue cat that is around 3 years old (getting mixed opinions on his age). So for the kitten, she lived about 3 days in a large bathroom with litter box food, bed and everything. Then we moved her into our master bedroom with bathroom for probably another week, before she got to wander the house. Then this year with the 3 year old, he immediately started in our master bedroom/bathroom for over a week which was also done to be part of the slow introduction to our other cat who is now one. Everything I described above is what is encouraged with a new cat. Hope that helps, but you may already be set.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Kitten

You can isolate her in your bathroom. But I've had 3 different cats that responded differently each time to litterbox training. My first cat, Rusti, hated the texture of litter initially. So I went outside and filled a small box with dirt. She used it, and I slowly started mixing litter in with the dirt. My second cat, Angel, was pretty difficult at first. She would only go on towels, and seemed to refuse to go anywhere else. As a last ditch effort, I took some soiled litter from Rusti (who was the only cat free of parasites and whatnot) and put it in Angel's separated litterbox. She started using after that.

My present kitten, Marco, has been the easiest. I stimulated him to go on a soft tissue, and buried it in some shallow litter. He does have accidents, but that's because he's in a carrier or a playpen and they both are too small for a even the smallest box. So I have to take him out when he cries at me and place him in his box, now that he's old enough to go on his own. He sometimes hops out but putting him back in several times until he goes works. Since your kitty has already gone once, I don't think she'll have much issue going again now, especially if you isolate her in the bathroom with her box and place her in there when you think she needs to go a few times. Always keep a little bit of her soiled litter in there after doing a litter change, too. Kittens are even more scent-reliant than adult cats are, so if there's no scent of her own waste, she could likely forget that's where she needs to go. You don't need to do this too long, I had to do it for 2 litterbox changes for Marco. But it could take a bit longer for her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page