Dog Food Problem - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Dog Food Problem

My cats keep getting into my dog's food when I feed her. Carmen can't get any food, so I've started letting her eat the cat food, but she's a chihuahua, so the fat is very bad for her. My only option is to keep cat food away from her, how can I keep my cats out of it, while keeping it available to my dog?

Please note: my cats can open doors and my dog eats at random times, I can't watch her eat her food because she's so on and off
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 11:25 PM
Kitten

Our new kitten keeps getting in dog food as well. We've actually started putting the food up at times since the dog doesn't really care either way and sometimes keep the kitten in a separate part of the house.

Cat mom to Luna
Dog mom to Annie
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

The answer is simple, keep the food locked up and feed them separately. Many of us have to do this. My girls have been fed separately for years.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:37 AM
Premier Cat

Separation of the dog and cat when feeding is usually the answer to your problem, but the fact that Carmen "eats at random times" doesn't work for her unless you train her to ask for food and then lock up the cat while she is eating. If you're home a lot this may work out but not if you work outside home most of the day. Can Carmen go for 8 hrs. or more without being fed, or does she have a medical condition that prevents this?

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

I have school for 7 hours and work for another 6 most days, so I'm gone most of the time. Even though my brother is usually at home, I can't get him to do anything at all (he won't even clean his room, which is littered with liquor bottles).

Also: Carmen is 12 years old and she never responded to trainers that we took her to. I'll try to train her myself, but I'm not sure if it'll work out.

Last edited by marie73; 11-10-2017 at 04:52 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 05:02 AM
Tom Cat

There are automatic pet food dispensers on the market that might work. Some of them can be operated with a smart phone app. Sucks that your brother seems to be an alcoholic. Is there anyone else at all in your house that could help?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-18-2017, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

No, my mom is constantly working and elderly, I don't want to ask too much of her. Especially not for her to bend down. The last time she couldn't get up without help. I'll see about the dispensers, but my cats can and will get into everything and that would require my lazy dog to be awake and alert to get it.

Last edited by marie73; 11-18-2017 at 11:11 PM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 06:04 PM
Cat

Don't consider myself a cat expert, but have had dogs my entire 63 years of life and cats for the last 10 years.
Some say cat are stupid. I say no they are not just creatures of routine. My cats get fed in the morning when we wake up, around 4pm and again around 8 pm. DST screws them. They have been at the feeding room door an hour ahead meowing. If we sleep in, they are on top of us, saying, "It is feed time."
My cats get fed in a separate room. Could you establish a separate feeding room for the cats?
I would put the dog feed up and start feeding the dog and cat at the time in separate rooms. The dog will learn very fast that it is feeding time and the cats also.
My cats will eat the dog's left over feed at times and it hasn't hurt the. You are correct that cat food is not good for dogs, especially one that small. Higher fat content cat food.
Elderly mom. My mom is 91 and I understand. I am wondering if you can get her one of those elderly pick-em up devices and maybe take a hair dryer or heat gun to bend the handle of a measuring cup to make it easy for her to feed them without bending over.

My cats aren't spoilt, Just well loved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page