Kitten and cat will be separated :( how do I prepare? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Kitten and cat will be separated :( how do I prepare?

My sister came to visit me from the U.S. for a few months and she brought her two cats, one is 7 and the other is a year old. My 4 month old kitten gets along really well with the younger cat. She basically grew up with my sisters cats. The younger cat will sometimes groom her and they play a lot and snuggle with each other. Unfortunately, my sister is returning next week to the U.S. along with her cats. How can I help my kitten adjust after her friends are gone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Your cat is really quite young, the perfect age to add a playmate. Do you have any interest in adding another kitty to your household? There's really nothing you can do to prepare for the other cats leaving except maybe giving your cat extra attention and play time after they're gone. She may be just fine and love being the only cat.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Tom Cat

Lots of cats in shelters are looking for good homes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yes. I am actually planning to adopt another kitten. It is not the practice to spay/neuter cats & kittens here so if I do decide to adopt I'll have to go through another traumatizing bout of spaying/neutering. But, it will be worth it. So would it be okay to get a male kitten that hasn't been neutered? My current kitten is a female spayed three weeks ago.

Last edited by marie73; 11-12-2017 at 05:09 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Super Moderator

If you get an unneutered male, you'll have to get him fixed immediately. Some cats can get pregnant as young as four months old. Getting kittens fixed shouldn't be a traumatizing experience.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2017, 05:40 PM
Jr. Cat

dodo24- I believe there are social benefits to neutering a male like not spraying your house, being more mellow, not trying to mount your spayed female and annoying the heck out of her. I hope others will adjust my information if I don't have those points correct.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie73 View Post
If you get an unneutered male, you'll have to get him fixed immediately. Some cats can get pregnant as young as four months old. Getting kittens fixed shouldn't be a traumatizing experience.
I did read that and was worried about my female kitten. The practice in my country is to spay cats when they're 6-7 months old or only after they've sexually matured. Took a lot of convincing for me to get my 4 month old female kitten spayed. I had to take her back to the vet everyday for 6-7 days to get antibiotic shots, and spray on really strong smelling, fur-staining antibiotic spray, and apply bandages and ointments etc... Since my kitten had external sutures and had to go through all of that, I couldn't relate to all the things I read online about the female spaying process. Also, I had to keep the cone on her for at least 18 days!!! I'm just ranting right now (sorry & thanks for reading), but it was so stressful!! My kitten got really sick too and started throwing up for a whole day during this whole process. I felt so bad for her all the time. But now she's doing great ( except for her eyes which is a separate issue).
With the whole process I just wish I could adopt a spayed/neutered kitten but that's kind of an absurd concept here in my home country. Fixing male kittens is a shorter process I heard so that's why I prefer a male.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoda61 View Post
dodo24- I believe there are social benefits to neutering a male like not spraying your house, being more mellow, not trying to mount your spayed female and annoying the heck out of her. I hope others will adjust my information if I don't have those points correct.

If I got a male, I would definitely neuter him. I'd just need some time to prepare myself mentally for the procedure and I would also need to prepare my home for a new kitten!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 07:18 AM
Jr. Cat

dodo24 - sorry I did not respond. I am getting the hang of using and monitoring this site.

Anyhow, so sorry you had such a difficult time with your girl's spaying. I am now at having owned 5 cats. The first three the cats were spayed while I owned them and remember no difficulties (2 female and 1 male at maturity). Same for my daughter's two cats. My latest two were from shelters and both came spayed and neutered. If I recall with my daughter's two, the male was much easier than the female and they were spay/neutered at around the 6 months. The male at that point had started to get bright ideas about his sister and continued to try and mount her after he was neutered. It was the turning point of their cuddly relationship. They still turn to each other for general company by do not share sleep surfaced.

I know there are debates about the benefit of waiting until maturity and I would address that topic with your vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page