Biting Problems. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Biting Problems.

I have had my cat since he was 8 weeks old. When we got him, his first week was very difficult. He was outdoors when we got him. Everything for the most part has resolved, except for his biting. He got declawed in March. I know many people are against this, but he is indoors only & I didn't want him ruining anymore of my furniture. Sometimes, he lets us hold him & love him with no problems. He is constantly purring & being lovey. However, he is biting all the time. He is very playful & we always interact with him, but just cannot seem to get him to stop biting. I have been reading different posts about feral kittens in their behavior & how it can be resolved, just not sure why Lucifer is still biting? He is a 1 1/2 old & we have been interactive with him since the day we brought him home. He was biting before he got declawed, but not sure if it continued because he feels defenseless?

Advise & suggestions are welcome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

His feet could be hurting. Sometimes declawed cats can have a lifetime of pain after being declawed.

But thank goodness your furniture is fine.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:02 PM
Cat Addict

MY Blanco lived outside for 5 months semi feral. He is socialized with me but yes he bites. He bites to warn me, bites when he doesn't want to be bothered, etc. He doesn't break skin. I have his mother too and she didn't seem to teach him not to. I just watch for the signs and I do say No loudly but so far he doesn't seem to put the two together OR it is instinct when he is bothered. Sorry I can't help. Just thought I would share.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

He doesn't bite all the time. I didn't get him declawed just because of my furniture. Every cat I ever had growing up was indoors & they always got declawed. A few weeks ago, I was attacked by a cat (my boyfriends step dads cat), who wasn't declawed or wasn't vaccinated. If Lucifer wasn't declawed I probably wouldn't be able to be around him. My legs got rip to shreds by this cat & I needed to get stitches for some of the areas. I know some people aren't for getting cats declawed, but my boyfriend & I made the decision to. I don't want to be judged for our decision.

Anyway, when he plays sometimes he nibbles, & I know that is his play bite. There are times he full out bites. Not sure if he thinks he is play biting?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Oh, okay. So he could just not know not to do it? When we rescued him we debated on getting his sister, but ended up not. I didn't know if the separation could have contributed. He is my first cat that I have adopted myself, & didn't remember any other cats having this behavior.

Last edited by marie73; 11-16-2017 at 11:27 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 09:23 PM
Cat

I am going to side-step the minefield that is the de-clawing issue. I prefer to address any behavioral issues concerning animals by trying to see it from their point-of-view:

My first line of defense, my claws are gone. I don't know why and this is making me neurotic. I have no recourse except to bite when I want an activity to cease. I cannot control the severity of the biting because this is not my 'natural' response.

I wish I had my claws!

As your pet's guardian you made a choice and now you have to live with it just like her.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:10 PM
Jr. Cat

I canít believe you declawed every cat you had. Poor things. That is very upsetting. I think you need some training. Go see a qualified vet for advice.

Don't be to critical of a mistake. It is evidence that at least
someone tried to do something.
Become better than you used to be, not better than someone else.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-17-2017, 04:14 PM
Kitten

Your cats only defense now is his biting, so he will do more of it to signal when he's had enough or when he's playing. If he had his claws still, he would probably bat at you more than resorting to biting but his feet probably hurt or feel odd to him, so he refrains from using his paws. That's the reason he's biting so much. Not what you want to hear but that's from my experience with declawed cats.

And his feet will be more sensitive to litter types too, so you gotta go with softer litters that won't irritate his paws. My grandmother had all her cats declawed, and all of them started to stop using the litter box not long after they healed up. I got them different litter after asking my vet about it and they started using the box again. And they all bit more often as well when played with. That's just something he's gonna do for the rest of his life now. I guess you could try to toy train him more? Get him to bite his toys in place of biting you?

On a side note:
I do recommend when getting another cat, don't declaw. Biting has way more bacteria and higher chances to give you an infection, as I learned after having been bit by a food aggressive kitten when mistakenly trying to take food she wasn't supposed to have away without proper protection. I had to go to the hospital because of how rapid the infection was, and was told half my hand may be amputated if it started to become gangrenous and continued to not respond to antibiotics. I've yet to get an infection from a scratch, especially since they're so much easier to clean out than a circular puncture wound.
I do understand where you're coming from with having stitches from being scratched (was mauled by a dog as a kid), but not all cats are going to scratch you that badly. Especially if they love you, like Lucifer seems to. And you can train your cats to avoid your furniture and your body through less invasive means. It takes more time, yes, but it's proven effective for me 9 years on with my first cat. Just food for thought. Lucifer is adorable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page