behavior/safety question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Cat

behavior/safety question

The white cat is our older cat, the room
We are in is her room. While the gray cat has always been in our bed room but lately i've been encouraging him to go out of my bedroom and explore the whole house. I noticed he likes to go into the white cats room. What do think? Is it safe to leave them alone and let him
Visit her room? Both of them are spayed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by marie73; 12-06-2017 at 09:56 AM. Reason: video removed, YouTube videos not allowed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 08:54 AM
Kitten

Both of them being desexed it should be fine but I'd suggest watching them for a while to see if they can stay together for long periods of time without fighting too much (if it's just a bit that's normal and shouldn't be a problem) keep in mind play fighting also often looks like normal fighting but that's unlikely until a bond is formed. How long have you had the grey cat? From the 2nd video your white cat seems uncomfortable around him. If they're at the point where she's just hissing at him alot and maybe starting fights if he gets too close then they should be past that stage of getting to know each other in maybe a month maybe more. Anyway it should be fine to leave them alone but probably not for too long at first in case they start fighting.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Cat

thanks! The white cat is about 5-6 years old.
the gray one is about 2 years old , he's been kept in our bedroom for almost 2 years and its just now that i encourage him to explore the whole house, both of them almost have the same attitude. they are both skittish towards other people .

I'll trim both their nails, the grayone i regularly trim his nails as he still sleeps in my room, but the white one i need to trim her nails.

not sure why he seems to be really curious and likes to go into the white cats room.
I'm hoping they will get to know each other more and so can play with the white cat.

I have another female siamese which is really close with this gray one.

Last edited by marie73; 12-06-2017 at 10:25 AM. Reason: videos removed - YouTube videos NOT ALLOWED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
Cat

I noticed the gray cat likes to go into the white cats room. When he got,out of our room tonight, i went downstair, and later i found him inside the white cats room. They were not fighting, he was just sitting near the window while the white can was on another part of the room. Is this a good sign that they might get along?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Kitten

Yea it's a good sign
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Cat

thanks not sure why he keeps on wanting to visit her, bu the white one doesn't to have anything to do with the gray one she hisses at him
I'll just leave give them some time.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Have not been observing their interaction, not sure why my gray cat likes to enter the white cats terrotory everytime i leave open the white cats room
Door. I will find my gray cat inside, but the white cat will just be hiding. Im hoping this doesnt stress her out too much and they will soon get to know each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 AM
Jr. Cat

I think your grey kitty is behaving normally. He of course wants to check out the other cat, white kitty. Sounds to me like the gray is interesting in the white cat, but that the white cat is afraid of the gray cat. I wonder if finding something that would calm your white cat might help. Do you have available to you products like Feliway diffusers, or Bach's rescue remedy drops?
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoda61 View Post
I think your grey kitty is behaving normally. He of course wants to check out the other cat, white kitty. Sounds to me like the gray is interesting in the white cat, but that the white cat is afraid of the gray cat. I wonder if finding something that would calm your white cat might help. Do you have available to you products like Feliway diffusers, or Bach's rescue remedy drops?

thanks, I don't think drops are available here.
the white cat is quite timid and is spooked easily.
she also doesn't play now, before she used to play with her daughter and used to be an outdoor cat.
but i moved her indoors now and she has her own room.
Gray cat would visit her in her room and she would just hide while my gray cat investigates.

I'll need to trim the white cat's claws just in case , the gray cat has his claws trimmed regularly as he stays in my room.

would it be a good idea to just leave the white cats room open so the gray can can visit her ? but i don't want to stress my white cat too much too, hoping she will get used to the gray cat.

i tried a laser pointer and a feather and the white cat will make a sound like she is afraid and just go hide.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018, 10:52 PM
Jr. Cat

so sorry their adjustments are not easy. I honestly don't have much experience with two cats, that is new to me in the last few months.

I wonder if adding a high safe space in white kitty's room would give her a place to safely observe without having to fully hide.

It is hard when you see your cat unhappy. I hope others on the forum with more experience will jump in here with some more guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page