My 18 year old male Tabby is suffocating me - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

My 18 year old male Tabby is suffocating me

I have a male grey Tabby named Smokey. He's been the best cat I've ever had. I live in a condo, and all the other cats around absolutely love him for some reason. He loves people, and he talks to me all the time. However, in the past few months he's stopped wanting to go out at all ( he used to spend most all day outside ). He is smothering me wanting attention constantly. I'm disabled, and I'm home all the time. He's getting so bad that it almost makes me want to go somewhere just to get out of the house.

My guess is that it's his advanced age, and he probably won't change. I just wanted to bring it up to see if anyone else ever had to deal with a situation like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

At his age, I'd give him all the love he wants, poor little guy. Although, I'm not really sure of his age, because last year you said he was 15.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 05:08 PM
Tom Cat

Old cats sometimes get cognitive disorders similar to dementia in humans that can look like what you're describing. My ancient brown tabby would go out into the back yard and start yowling frantically until one of us spoke to him. Then he'd sort of blink, and come back to earth, and walk back up the deck stairs towards us. He was 17 and 18 when he did this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Cool Cat

sounds like the little guy's maybe feeling insecure in his "old age." i agree with Marie. i'd give him all the love he can stand. you won't regret it later i swear. of course you need your breaks for personal space, though, so take them! you're being a caregiver just like any other caregiver for a family member, and it's a 24 hour job. maybe you can take your breaks the moment he falls asleep. then kiss him and whisper that you'll be back and go take your break. is there anyone else who could keep him company while you're out? that would certainly help if it's at all possible. that's one thing human caregivers use hospice agencies for. anyway, if you can find him other human company while you take your break, then you won't have to feel badly leaving him for a little while.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page