Moving cats to a new country - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 03:07 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Moving cats to a new country

Hi All

I'm hoping some readers can give some advice on this issue, particularly if they've moved cats into a totally new environment. I really want to do what is best for my cats. Apologies in advance for the long post.

The situation is I'm Australian but have been living in rural Malaysia for 3 years. I am planning to go home next year. I currently have 3 cats - Lily, who I adopted as a street cat and Archie, her son. Lily is about 8 and Archie is about 2. I also have Kiki, an abandoned kitten who moved into my house a few months ago. she's about 5 months. I live on a very quiet area and they have an idyllic life. They come and go as they please, hunt and play outside or sleep on the beds inside. They've never met a dog or had any real upset in their lives.

The options are to take them with me, or rehome them. I'm planning to rehome lily as I have a friend who will care for her. Her health is not great and she stresses a lot and gets sick if things aren't right. I'm worried she'll miss her son though, she still washes him. Rehoming the other 2 is not really an option. The place is awash with cats and no one would want them.

Taking them to Australia is relatively easy (just expensive). They only have to spend 10 days in quarantine. But I don't have a home to go to and will probably stay with a friend until I get set up, which could take a few months. But she lives in the city and has 3 friendly but bouncy dogs. I'm really worried my cats will absolutely hate it, and whatever I do, their idyllic life will be over. In addition, Archie is scared of people except me, although he's a very well balanced cat in other ways. I don't know if taking them is the right thing to do, or how to minimise the impact.

If anyone has any experience, tips or advice I'd be really grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017, 08:07 AM
Cat

First off there is no 'right' answer but as you must do something I suggest finding a home there for Lily & Archie and taking Kiki with you. Of the 3 the youngest can still adapt to a VERY different environment as she is still a kitten. I believe the mom & son not only need each other but would not do well in the new home you describe. 2 rural, indoor/outdoor cats thrust into an apartment in the city with THREE dogs? If you can keep the mom/son together and where they are. Or take all three and try to make it work (although I'm sure quarantining 3 cats isn't cheap).

Like I wrote at the beginning there is no 'one' right response, I can only offer my advice and I hope it helps you.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page