New to us Kitten is go go go 24 ours a day! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-31-2017, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

New to us Kitten is go go go 24 ours a day!

New Kitten rescue came to my adult daughters door. She adopted him but is having one big problem. He goes full tilt all day long. As long as she is awake he is running from room to room, jumping, playing attacking. he seriously does not stop moving. Biggest problem is he is starting to take it out on furniture despite having other scratch play areas provided. If you try to restrain him he bites and scratches in play but its quite painful. He loves water so a spay bottle is not a deterrent. He exhausts you just being in the same room.
If it matters he is 4-6 months male unaltered grey mackerel tabby short hair. He is very handsome but is a complete handful.
How can I get him under control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 01:17 PM
Cat

Time for a trip to the vet to get snipped!
Neutering takes away the raging hormones your boy is experiencing.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017

Last edited by marie73; 01-07-2018 at 02:24 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 03:58 PM
Premier Cat

First of all, as DizzysDad suggested, get him neutered....it's time.
This may make him less bitey, but not likely to restrict his non-stop activity that much. It may be just how he is! I have 2+yr. old Devon Rex that is very much like your daughter's cat. Fitty is awake most of the time if I am awake, very active, tears around the house, jumps up on kitchen counters/tables, and prefers to scratch on furniture or carpet rather than his scratching posts (in spite of rubbing catnip into them). So how I cope with him is to give him a couple of good play times with a fishing pole type of toy like "Da Bird" a day to drain off some of his energy and tire him out. I keep my furniture covered with sheets, that come off for guests, and I have an automatic cat deterrent called SSScat! (available at Amazon) that discourages him from jumping on counter tops/tables. I used to have Manx cats for a long time and they were not as active as Devon Rexes, and more doglike in wanting to please its owner rather than wanting to do otherwise. The Devons are adorable, very sweet natured, and real cuddle bugs and lap warmers, extremely companionable with always wanting "to help" with everything I do. So your daughter's boy's manic activity may be genetic if he has any sort of oriental genes, such as Siamese genes, Bengal, Devon or Cornish Rexes, (even more active than the Devons!), Abyssinians somewhere in his background. Some cats, like people, just like to laze around in the sun, take a little stroll and sleep half the day......others don't! Most cats, even Devons, start taking a few more naps and are less active, like my 13 y.o. Devon neuter Zuba, but up to around 9 yrs., he was as active as Fitty.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 01:27 PM
Premier Cat

I am a firm believer in a second kitten to help burn off that energy and redirect his play biting to another friend besides you. I hope you will consider this. In the meantime, when he play bites yell OWW! really loud and put him on the floor (i.e., time out from playtime) if he jumps up and repeats this do it again. I've even had to resort to putting the kitten's head in my mouth to give him the message that the play bite is unacceptable. Good luck. I hope he settles down soon. Some kittens are just balls of energy.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2018, 11:01 AM
Tom Cat

This sounds like normal kitten behaviour to me! They are little bundles of energy and at 4-6 months of age even a kitten that has been trained will sometimes go through a teenage rebellion phase.
Stop with the water bottle. It's rarely effective in any case. Get him neutered and get a companion of about the same age for him if possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page