My Cat is Always Hungry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

My Cat is Always Hungry

Hello All,

Bailey is a 7.5 year old medium hair tabby, spayed, and front declawed. For the past few years, I have kept Bailey and her sister Tequila (yeah I know, I promise I am not an alcoholic) a steady diet of Whole Earth Farms Grain Free wet food 2.5 oz in am and pm and Nature Valley Instinct Raw Boost dry food. I thought this was ok since they are both grain free.

Bailey went to the vet a month ago and gained some weight. She is already an overweight cat, so the vet suggested I stop feeding her dry food. He told me that the wet food should be enough for her. So I took away the dry food, but now whenever I feed her she gobbles it up as fast as possible, and is ready for more in an hour. When I am home it is absolutely annoying, she will constantly bother me when I walk into the kitchen for anything. If I am late even one second to food her, she will start jumping on me and not shut up.

I've tried splitting up her dish into multiple meals, pushing the food flat on the bottom of the bowl so she eats it slower, nothing has seemed to work.

I would appreciate any suggestions to try to get her to eat slower. Or anything that maybe would fill her up that isn't too high in carbs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Cat

I had a similar situation. My cat was about 4-5 yrs old when I cut out dry entirely. It took over a month of whining before he adapted. What is your cat's weight? It's said to feed 1 oz. food for every 2 lbs body weight. I understand you want her to lose weight but right now she's probably WTF'ing over this change in amounts. Grazing causes a lot of problems in cats and dry food is an invention of convenience that doesn't consider our cat's real requirements for MEAT protein not soy/vegetable based. So look for a food based in that-perhaps Stella & Chewy freeze-dried to start. I feed my current guy one called Abady but it's difficult to get outside NY-NJ area. But there are some good alternatives online.

Hold fast, play with her to tire her out when she whines. Give a good treat after like pre-boiled chicken in little chunks from the fridge. After years of eating one way you're making her change albeit for the right reasons so why wouldn't she whine? I know I would!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Premier Cat

There are some food puzzles that can slow down her eating.
Here's a website: Wet Food Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats The "Lickimat" looks like it might do the trick.

Also once or twice a week, give her raw chicken wing tips (wingettes). They're mostly gristle and need a lot of chewing, which is good to keep the plaque off her teeth. Hope these suggestions work for you.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page