new kitten runs and hides - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

new kitten runs and hides

I recently adopted a kitten about 18 weeks old. He is super sweet, affectionate, etc but scared of everything. No biting or scratching just runs and hides. The vet suggested we keep him in the bathroom. So we gave him our master bath/bedroom. We blocked off all potential hiding spots (he always finds a new one though) and he just stays sleeping on a shelf. He does snuggle in bed with me at night, but other than that heís pretty much cowered in a corner. Itís been a week. When do we let him explore the rest of the house?

Heís eating and doing his business just fine, so I donít think heís sick. When he gives us a chance and letís us pet him, heís super sweet. Even lets us play with him occasionally. Just feel like Iím doing something wrong. I feel so sad for him, always afraid.

Last edited by marie73; 01-03-2018 at 10:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 PM
Premier Cat

Youíre doing nothing wrong...he is just getting used to everything new...new room, new things, new humans, new smells, new noises.

Play soft music in the background for him. Get down on the floor at his level and talk quietly to him. Let him sniff your glasses/sunglasses. Sit on the floor and play with a feather teaser wand with him.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:00 AM
Jr. Cat

I agree with Mocha and I like her advice as well. I'm sure the kitty it just trying to figure it all out. I love that he sleeps with you at night. It may be that he will always be a bit of a skitty kitty, but he should improve.

Oh and before you consider letting him out of the room, put a collar with a bell on him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 12:31 AM
Kitten

Same thing happening with us right now. Just got a 12 week old kitten at Christmas and her favorite place is under the bed. I wonder how long (months?) it usually takes to see just how much they will end up coming out of their shell, and how much is fixed personality? My vivacious 3 and 5 year old children do startle her with their excitement sometimes, as much as I ask them to stay calm. I tried the Feliway plug-in but can't tell if it is helping yet. This kitty does not respond at all to catnip or treats to coax her out from under the bed. The only time she will sit still and let you pet her is when she is eating! I just want her to love my daughter (age 5) as much my daughter loves her new kitty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page