New Cat Issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New Cat Issues

Hi guys so this is gonna be a long post heads up,

I got a new addition (Polly) 3 weeks ago, a friend of a friend had passed away and I offered to take her cat. Shes 7 yrs, long haired domestic. Shes super shy and little nervous, growls at my kitten (this has been getting better, and now only growls or swats when he tries to play with her). When I first got her she hadn't been fed for a few days, and continued to not eat, with the exception of a few kibbles. I ended up having to take her to a vet, few hundred $$ later she had a fever, needed few fluid injections, apatite inducers and some calming pheromone diffuser to pug in. She now eats regularly but it still is not that much and only munching a little at a time, Iv been leaving food out accessible to her 24/7 (out of reach of my fattie kitten) just cuz I'm worried about how little she eats. I have tried 3 different types of dry food, three types of wet food, canned tuna and salmon, pumpkin, and she will ONLY eat the dry food she came with. The ultimate picky eater and underweight.

good news is she's more active and alert, seeks attention more, hiding less and less. but she doesn't play, I don't know if its an age thing or just from her previous owner never being home (she was secluded a fair bit I am told and didn't get much attention).

I want to switch both of them over to a raw food diet and have slowly started that with my kitten (the pig eats everything and loves it so far). But I can't leave raw food out all day for Polly or it will go bad, I also don't know how to switch her over to timed feeding as she doesn't realy eat much in one go. I was thinking of taking away her food at night to start and see how that goes, get her on a timed feeding then start switching to raw.

Also had them separated for the first week and tried slowly to introduce them but they both get super needy and anxious when I'm not in the room with them. Polly occasionally wakes up crying and will come find me for attention/comfort, or will kind of "hog" me from my kitten at night some times which makes him a little jealous. Hes pretty much in love with Polly and just wants to play with her all the time (which she never wants to) cept when he gets jealous of her sitting in my lap.

I NEED SOME ADVICE PLEASE! lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	121282  

Name:	IMG_0196.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	121290  

Name:	IMG_0198.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	81.7 KB
ID:	121298  

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	121306  

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	121314  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-06-2018, 07:10 AM
Cat

Well that's a MAJOR adjustment for her, losing her guardian of 7 yrs and being uprooted. I would just continue to feed her the food she is comfortable with until she's eating regularly. Going off their food is a sign of stress so give her time to acclimate and if possible give her personal space apart from the rest of the house (and your cat). 3 weeks is not a long time when considering how disrupted her life has been. Can you imagine living in the same place for 7 yrs then suddenly without any warning being put in a totally different place? Oh and btw here's ANOTHER cat figure that out too?

Time & patience are the keys~

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017

Last edited by marie73; 01-06-2018 at 09:08 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2018, 07:36 AM
Jr. Cat

I don't have a lot of experience with this but I have read threads as with come by. I agree with everything that Dizzysdad stated but add that you have the additional variable of cats in different stages of their lives i.e. quiet older and crazy kitten. I also would not be trying to change food around the house for a while, at a minimum for Polly and maybe leave things alone for the kitten as well until polly is acclimated and you can try and do them together. I have also read about pesty kittens and that bothering an older cat and the recommendation was to give the kitten more play time to wear them out and thus calm them down. That would serve two purposes - happy kitten from the play and happier polly cause she will be harassed less. Also, then maybe the kitten will be less offended by the lap time that you give polly.

Beautiful kitties and what you are doing for Polly is wonderful. Give it time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page