New cat not eating, drinking, using litter box - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

New cat not eating, drinking, using litter box

We adopted a 3 year old cat from the shelter yesterday morning and as far as we can tell he hasnt touched his food (the same one they were feeding him at the shelter), water or used the litter box since then. Were not sure what to do and how long we should give him before taking him to the vet or something. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:03 AM
Cat

Try putting some tuna juice on the food he's used to to make it 'smelly good'. OR you can go to Fancy Feast wet, mix it in with his other food. He's probably a bit confused as to what the deal is. He knows where his box is right? How long was he at the shelter? Do you have any history on him? He'll settle in once he feels he is safe.

Its great that you gave a shelter cat a home!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 07:30 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for replying.

Will have to go and get tuna tomorrow. Weve left him some fancy feast down as well as the dry food he was on at the shelter, hoping he eats throughout the night. Yeah he knows where it is, Im assuming he hasnt used the litter since hes not eaten or drank anything. He was at the shelter since he was born and we were told hes quite a shy cat anyway which is why hes been there so long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM
Tom Cat

Is he in a quiet room all to himself? It can take a while for a cat to work up the nerve to explore an entire house, but a small space might not be so intimidating.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yeah, weve got him set up in the bathroom as Id read that would be a good option for him.

post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 05:35 PM
Cool Cat

are you also offering him what he ate while at the shelter? using the same kind of litter? got the feliway plugged in? maybe some nice soft music for him to create a calm atmosphere?

did the shelter give you any advice? what's his background? lots of questions! but i think starting with everything he was used to at the shelter is the first thing to concentrate on.

i fostered a cat who didn't eat for a whole week! appetite stimulants didn't work. ended up giving her Xanax believe it or not and she did a complete 180. turned from a mad cat that struck out at anything within a foot of her and eating nothing to a total lovebug/lapcat with a healthy appetite. it just took a few days on the Xanax to take the edge off, but i don't think she even needed that much. maybe a couple days with a lower does woulda done the trick for her. just 1 option for you if nothing else works.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:11 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Yeah the shelter gave us a bag of the food he was eating there so thats what weve put down for him. Looks like hes finally used the litter through the night. We do have a feliway plugged in but well also try the music. All we really know is that hes been at the shelter since he was born so he hasnt had that much human contact so hes quite a shy cat. Hopefully hell eat some tuna today.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Cat

WOW
3 years at the shelter. He is basically being re-homed to the MAX. I commend you for giving him a forever home! Was he in a cage that whole time basically? Was he ever fostered or is all he knows the shelter? This would be a MAJOR difference for his senses to adjust to. I'm not sure I would eat right away if I landed on a different planet!
Please keep us informed!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-20-2018, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

The place we got him from has basically a giant enclosure that all the cats roam around together in with an indoor and outdoor area they could go in. I believe all he knows is the shelter and the people at the shelter believe its possible that the cat we adopted last year is actually related to him. I completely understand its a huge adjustment for him but since weve never had this problem before Im not sure how long we should give it without him eating before we take him to a vet.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 01-21-2018, 03:01 PM
Cool Cat

that's excellent progress and a great sign that he used the litterbox! since this is his first real home, that says a lot for him. what a tough little guy.
do you get to sit with him in the room a lot and just read to him or watch tv or listen to music quietly? if he was used to the people at the shelter, i think that would be helpful to be in your presence as much as possible.
is he your only cat right now then? if so, i'll bet it's just hard for him not having other feline companions around all the time and he's been thrown off. hopefully it won't take him too long to get used to having human companionship replace his feline friends.

is he interested in playing at all yet? i've definitely had fosters who were so scared they completely ignored any toys for weeks before even slowly starting to follow the toy very slowly with their eyes.

Maggie & Phoebe
Kitty, Lucy Girl, Bobby Boy, and my sweet Angel forever in my heart.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page