Cat will not let us sleep! Help! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat will not let us sleep! Help!

Our cat Gary is appx 14 years old now. He has always been quite the character, super friendly and snuggly. Last year we caught the early stages of hypothyroid issues, started treating him, and he's been fine since. In September, our son moved away for college. Gary and our son were buddies. But, Gary is also my buddy and I give him plenty of attention.

A few months ago, he started meowing at night. He'll climb into bed and lay down for awhile, then get up and meow, walk around, then lay back down. He does this ALL NIGHT LONG. I often end up moving to the living room to sleep on the couch, and this usually solves the problem. Gary stays in bed with my husband, and I sleep alone.

I've tried ignoring him, hoping the lack of attention/rewards would help train him. I've pushed him off the bed, but he's persistent. My husband is a baby about sleep, and just gets angry, which wakes us all up even more. I make sure he has food and water before I go to bed, and leave the light on for him. I snuggle and love him up for an hour or two before going to sleep. I don't know what else to do.

Part of me feels bad. I know he's old, and don't want to be mad at or mean to him, but we have to get some uninterrupted sleep!

Any suggestions???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 11:41 AM
Premier Cat

Get one of your husband's well-worn Tshirts out of the laundry as well as some clothing that has your scent on it, and put Gary in another room with a door with a litter box---laundry room/bathroom/office/den and arrange the scented clothing on a chair or wherever Gary likes to sleep. Feeding him a snack right before you go to bed is good. Take a herbal Valerian capsule (will make you sleepy) or some Bach's Rescue Remedy before you go to bed, then put in some ear plugs, and if Gary meows ignore it. You need your sleep. It may seem like "tough love", but for your sake and your hubby's, Gary needs to sleep alone.
I've never allowed my cats to sleep with me at night, but they know they're allowed for an afternoon nap. Sometimes cats as they get into their very senior years, start doing what Gary is doing by walking around meowing at night....maybe some senility? Hope these suggestions help. Sweet dreams!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 02-13-2018 at 11:44 AM.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 PM
Jr. Cat

@catloverami knows what they're talking about, but your cat may also just be craving lots more attention in his old age.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:27 PM
Cat Addict

Getting old is quite an adjustment!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Tom Cat

I've always put the cats in the laundry room when they're bothering us at night which happened more when they were younger, not so much recently. They did have to stay there recently when we had an illness with one of them going on. I didn't know how they'd react so I put lots of double sided tape on the doors where I thought they might claw to get out. I also did a gate figuring that would make door clawing less likely. I don't think they actually did any so that was good!

Also I was going to suggest using something of your son's to help him settle.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:37 AM
Premier Cat

Is it hypo or hyperT? Hypo is pretty rare, I think?

Has Gary been to the vet for a recheck since he started treatment? I'd recommend a vet visit, as there's very often a medical issue underlying sudden behavioral changes, especially in senior kitties. If he's only yowling at night, when you're asleep, it suggests that he needs your reassurance because he's not feeling well, or maybe because his vision or hearing is starting to fail. Have you noticed any hesitation before he jumps up, or especially before he jumps down?

I know what you mean. I had a kitty who was blind for the last 5 or 6 years of her life, and I would get frustrated with her sometimes. Of course it wasn't her fault that she couldn't see and wanted constant reassurance from me - in fact, it was mine, because I could have prevented her blindness if I'd been more knowledgeable - but it was frustrating all the same.

I hope you're able to figure out what's going on and get some sleep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page