Ruptured Ear Drum? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Ruptured Ear Drum?

Hey there, all!

I'll get straight to it and list his symptoms, but before I do so, please don't recommend a vet as an answer, that's an obvious answer, but I want to save as much money as possible because I can't even afford help for this.
So here's his symptoms:

1. Always scratching: He always scratches at his ear and shakes his head vigorously. He's done so to such extent that he's created wounds that I've been treating with antibacterial and coconut oil to repel fleas because that's what I thought it may have been at first.

2. Ear Mites: Has the ear mite coffee ground-like stuff in his ear.

3. Discharge: He also has a brown discharge coming from his ear. I cleaned it away and no more seems to be coming out.

4. Lethargic: I'm not sure if it's because he's mad that I cleaned away as best I could with probing into his ear or if it's because he actually has a real problem.

Those are his symptoms. I think it may be a ruptured eardrum, but I don't want to jump to conclusions. If it seems to be that or anything bad like that to you guys, I'm definitely going to take him in to get checked out. I'm looking for all natural remedies before I spend bucketloads of money.

Thanks,

-My_Cat_Smudge

Last edited by marie73; 02-13-2018 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

EDIT: he also is breathing like he's very congested. I hope it's unrelated and that it's just a cold, but I thought to mention it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

UPDATE: I checked up on him four to five hours after cleaning his ears and putting in ear mite drops. No more discharge has come out, but he's still lethargic. He watching everything with semi-alertness, which is better than before, but he still doesn't want to move around. Tomorrow I'll clean his ears again and readminister the ear mite drops. It seems to be going pretty good, but if anyone knows of anything I could do to ease the discomfort he's in, it would be much appreciated. I'm afraid I may have been a little rough while cleaning his ears the first time, so I think his discomfort at the moment is just that he doesn't wanna be around me right now. Don't worry, I wasn't rough enough to damage his ears, just more than I should've been.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:20 PM
Cat Addict

Hopefully it is not an ear infection which it may be.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-13-2018, 07:49 PM
Jr. Cat

If you smell the ears do they smell like yeast? My parents dog has chronic ear infections and most of the time it's a simple yeast infection. If caught early enough we can treat it at home but if not it can become bad enough she needs to see the vet.

I would definitely keep up with cleaning the ears and hopefully you will see some improvement in a few days.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 02:14 AM
Premier Cat

How's your little guy doing now?

I'm not at all familiar with ruptured eardrums, but I'd think that a ruptured eardrum might lead to balance issues, no? Does he seem wobbly at all, or tilting?

Ear mites wouldn't be a symptom. If you're finding ear mites, then I think he needs to be treated for them, though maybe there are natural remedies that wouldn't require a vet visit. Treating ear mites shouldn't be expensive though. Celia was treated for what was apparently a very, very severe case of ear mites before I adopted her, and she has had chronic issues with ear infections and wax build-up in her ears. She shakes her head so violently and paws at her ear so violently that she nearly falls over. Definitely not comfortable for them, so I hope you're able to resolve whatever it is that's bugging him very soon!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

He's doing much better now, thank you all for your replies! I'll try smelling his ears to see if they smell yeasty, but I think I don't need to have a further concern. I think it was the ear drops I put in which did the trick. Thanks again to everyone who answered!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 07:37 PM
Premier Cat

So glad to hear he's better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page