Confused by new cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 10:05 AM Thread Starter
4w5
Jr. Cat

Confused by new cat

I adopted a new cat a few days ago. Her name is Zoey and at first she was perfect. She slept with me and was so sweet. Then I let my dad visit and he played with her for a while, then I took over and played with her for a while. Now she's acting more aloof. Anyone have any idea why? Advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:11 PM
Cat

Sometimes a new scent can make them act differently. Perhaps your dad reminds her of someone else and that confuses her.

What is her age? Did you get her from a shelter, if so what is her history?

Just give her some space and time to get comfortable. Perhaps even ignore her and let her initiate contact, as difficult as this may seem. It can be so easy to have expectations especially when we 'do everything right'- give them attention and feed them and treats and play. But unlike dogs cats can be inscrutable at times. Give it time.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Jr. Cat

She might just be a little anxious maybe with new people around? I know that when I got my cat Toby from the shelter he was that way at first. He warmed up to me really quickly and now I can't even go to the bathroom without him trying to jump in my lap but he is still very aloof with other people.
For example, when my dad comes over he won't even be in the same room as my dad, but when my mom comes over he is more receptive and will play with her but still won't let her touch him.
Cats are funny like that...they sort of pick and choose who they like and want to be friends with so maybe that just might be the case. Also emotionally they are very sensitive too so maybe it could be that all of these new things and people might have overwhelmed her a bit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
4w5
Jr. Cat

Good thoughts. She went back to being a lovebug yesterday afternoon.
She is almost 3 and from a cat shelter. Maybe my dad riled her up for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page