Stray or Just Looking for attention?! Help - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Red face Stray or Just Looking for attention?! Help

Okay this is my first time posting so if its in the wrong topic I am really really sorry.

I currently have 2 cats that I rescued and they get along really well. Stella is 10 months old and Toby is 7 months. So I first moved into my apartment in September of last year. One night I saw Stella really interested in something right outside the screen door. I walked up to it and it was a GIANT cat and I seriously mean giant. He ran off when he saw me and then I saw him a few more random times after that.
Well about 2 weeks ago I saw him during the daytime and I knew it was him because of the size. I sat down on the curb and started talking to him and he started meowing and finally came up to me and let me pet him. After a few minutes he was purring and rubbing up against me. I decided to give him some food and he ate it. Well since then he has actually been coming to visit me every day. He figured out which patio is mine and he will be sitting there when I come home from work and will run up to be talking and wanting pets. I also have been feeding him every time I see him which might not be good but I would feel bad not to
My question is does he have a home?? he doesn't have a collar or anything but he does seem really healthy and well fed. But he seems adamant about coming inside my apartment because he snuck in one time and just was rolling around the carpet and even playing with the toys, and will meow at the door till I go outside and give him affection. Not quite sure what to do I have posted on social media but no one is claiming him and I feel guilty not being able to let him in, but I don't think its fair to my two kitties either
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thomas 1.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	121857  

Name:	thomas.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	121865  

Name:	thomas 2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	121873  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:21 PM
Kitten

If you take him a vet you can have him scanned for a microchip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Jr. Cat

Maybe post his photo on some flyers, see if anyone recognizes if he belongs to anyone?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSageClev View Post
If you take him a vet you can have him scanned for a microchip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Okay I will try doing that! Just not quite sure how he will do in a carrier but we shall see! I'll probably try to take him this weekend then
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khadsell View Post
Maybe post his photo on some flyers, see if anyone recognizes if he belongs to anyone?
I've posted him on my facebook and had people share it too, also put up a "Found" ad on craigslist about him just to see if anyone would recognize him and then also asked around my apartment complex and everyone says they haven't seen him before. There's one girl that feeds a few strays but she said that he isn't one of the ones she feeds.

Also he runs away anytime he hears anyone walking or coming towards me or him so I am not sure why he doesn't run from me
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:14 PM
Cat

What is the timeline from when he first came to your door and now? Depending on where you live some people let their cats out to wander all day as they come home at night. I have a friend in the country who doesn't see her cat for days...not an advocate of this but each to their own I suppose. In England it is quite common in the rural areas. Is he fixed? My first thoughts when I see a super friendly street cat is he's been abandoned or somehow got lost.

I agree with eventually taking him to a vet to get scanned but first perhaps flyers employed in the vicinity you see him. i say first because while chipping is good is is not foolproof. In rare cases the chip does not scan. Also, if he was abandoned the info could be outdated. And not all cats enjoy carriers haha. Do you have a no-kill shelter in your area? Although this may be a neighborhood 'roamer' who enjoys the kindness of humans he should have a home and if no ID is found and he is unclaimed, well, you either continue feeding him and/or assume responsibility for him. Cats are smart they go where love is... If you don't want a 3rd cat (and the process of introducing him to your others) re-homing him is an alternative.
But it looks like you've been picked haha!

Hope it works itself out!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017

Last edited by DizzysDad; 02-20-2018 at 02:18 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

So the first time I actually came face to face with him was on a Sunday about two weeks ago. That was when I actually sat down on the sidewalk and just talked to him because he kept meowing but it was just the tiniest meow ever and he eventually came over. After that I didn't see him the rest of Sunday but the food I put out for him was gone by the time I got home. And then I didn't see him for about two days or so and then he came back again. He was hiding in the bushes and after he saw me get out of my car he ran up to me very chatty again. Since then I usually see him around 5:30PM (it's like he knows that's when I come home!) and then on the weekends I see him in the morning and at night!. He did accidentally make his way into my apartment but he didn't freak out or anything he just wouldn't leave! haha and my female cat Stella is the one with the attitude and he did smack her on the nose last night because she ran up to him and scared him I think. But my boy kitty Toby just gets on his belly and rolls onto his back and coo's so I think he is okay with him. And yes I mentioned that I have asked around and posted photos on Facebook and Craigslist as well.

Also I showed a video of him to my coworker who is a cat lover and she traps and gets strays fixed and she said he looked fixed. I wouldn't mind a third cat its just that I don't want my current ones to feel replaced and also I would feel horrible if he was someones cat and they thought I stole him or something. But the poor guy even follows me to the mailbox and hes also letting me give him belly rubs now he really is very sweet

Last edited by marie73; 02-20-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I'm not sure if I am supposed to start a new thread or not...but it pertains to this one so I figured I might just continue..
So I still have not found his owner and also this morning he brought a friend along! So does this mean all the stray cats in the neighborhood are going to flock to me because I feed one?? Because I'm not quite sure what to do...They look healthy and I would feel horrible to not feed them but now he is bringing his little kitty friends along and I had two sitting on my patio this morning! LOL
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:03 PM
Kitten

So, coming from someone who rescued a stray and had to feed her outside for a while...yes. Putting cat food outside attracts every cat nearby it seems. I remember opening my front door to like six feral cats when I was just trying to feed one.
Aside from catching every random cat that shows up, the only way to keep them away is to stop feeding them.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 02:21 PM
Cat Addict

This is how my friend got his cat and it did belong to a neighbor but the cat chose my friend. And the neighbor didn't care which is why the cat probably came over to begin with.
This cat does travel around the apartments he lives in now and apparently has gone into other people's apartment. And the neighbors say they give it treats.
As for feeding, I suspect my indoor/outdoor cat is being fed somewhere. If you put food out, they seem to find it. If you put up some flyers to maybe target a bigger radius, that may help. In the end, you will have to make a decision on how to proceed. It's not easy when they choose you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page