Preparing cats for my vacation and behavior issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Preparing cats for my vacation and behavior issues

My two 3 y/o siblings do not like people other than me in the house. They immediately head under the bed if the doorbell rings and someone enters the house. I very rarely get company except for the housekeeper every two weeks. I am going to be going away on vacation this summer for 2 weeks and will probably be getting a pet sitter to take care of them while I am away. I had to leave them a couple of years ago for a month and they did find, however, they are very clingy to me now especially since my husband passed away a couple of months ago. Any tips on what I can do so they don't fall apart while I am gone? I will set up a meeting with the sitter prior to my vacation. Should I go away for a couple of days before the "big one"? These cats are my life! As it is, the female, Lucy cries for my when she doesn't see me.

Devoted Mom to Lucy and Desi.

Last edited by marie73; 02-25-2018 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hair tip of tail

This my 3rd post today and I haven't been on the site in months.

The tip of my 3 yo Lucy's tail is missing fur. It's just on the very tip. She will chase her tail when she is on the bed doing her crazy thing (she loves the sheets and blankets) and stop to lick it for a moment but I have never seen her be obsessive with it. She is a very needy cat and likes to be with me. Other people in the house send her running under the bed.

I started noticing the fur missing early December. The was a major change in our household the end of November as my husband passed away. Even though I never noticed Lucy or her brother acting like they missed him, I am thinking maybe this is how she has been dealing with his death. Any thoughts?

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-25-2018, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

How did this post get attached to my other one?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-26-2018, 08:48 AM
Kitten

Maybe try to get the sitter to come over a few times before you go and try to get the cats used to them even if it's just like sitting down for a cup of coffee or tea and calling the cats out for a pet to see if they'll come and maybe try enticing them with some food to gain some of their trust with that person. If they like playing maybe try getting the sitter to play with them while you're there. If by the time you go they still won't come out of hiding while the person's there then just get them to do the basics, put food down, make sure there's water around for them to drink, clean the litter tray if you use one and make sure everything's how it's supposed to be before checking in on the cats and leaving, you could even get them to try playing with the cats a bit each day while you're gone to try and gain their trust so it's easier to care for them (and check to make sure everything's alright cause I know I'd want updates on how everything's going.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page