My cat wasn't around for breakfast this morning :( - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

My cat wasn't around for breakfast this morning :(

All 4 of our cats are there in the morning when I get up to feed them, and if they arenít, they show up within 30 minutes. Iíve never gone to work without being able to account for them or at least seeing them for a bit in the morning before they go outside. One of our cats this morning started picking at the carpet in our bedroom at about 1:30AM which he is prone to do a lot when he wants out (even though we have a cat door, but he wants out the front door!) or wants to eat. I got up and ushered him out to the kitchen where I gave him a snack and then went to back to bed. It was raining pretty hard out so Iím sure he didnít go out. I got up at 5AM and it had stopped raining and was clear skies. However, when I opened the food he didnít come. Once again, not unusual for him to be outside, but come in shortly after. I left at 6:30 and there was no sign of him. I texted my husband at 8:30 and he said he didnít see him anywhere either. He went out and called him but nothing. Itís a nice sunny day so he may be out enjoying the weather, but still odd for him not to be there even for a small appearance in the morning. He is very wary of people he doesnít know and is always alert. If he thinks he hears someone coming up to the house, he runs and goes under the bed. He doesnít roam too far. Heís usually in the front or back yard, but will go across the street or a few houses down the street. Iím at work for another couple of hours so we have no idea if he came home or not. I am so sick to my stomach hoping that he is there. We lost two cats in the span of 6 months 2 years ago so I am really upset. He is the last cat weíd thought weíd have to worry about because he is so cautious of people and things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 05:43 PM
Cat Addict

I feel for you and hope that he is there when you get home. Every now and then my cat gets off MY schedule and isn't home. I know the awful feeling but I hope he shows up like my cat like nothing is wrong. And my skittish cat has been in the house many times and I don't know where. I honestly don't know where he is hiding.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 09:37 PM
Tom Cat

Prayers for your buddy, I know its stressful when you can't find them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 01:19 PM
Cat Addict

Please let us know when he returns if not already.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 03:34 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat owner again View Post
Please let us know when he returns if not already.
He is home!! Although he didnít come home until about 1AM. I wonder if he got trapped in a garage, but I find that odd since he went missing between 2 and 5AM and none of neighbors leave at that time. We had shut the pet door before bed so the others wouldnít go out since we didnít know what had happened and figured if he came back weíd hear him pawing at the door. Sure enough, I heard something and got up and there he was waiting to come in! He was very hungry and gobbled down a bunch of food, but wasnít hurt or anything. I walked the neighborhood with treats and catnip when I got home, but got no response.

My stomach was in knots all day yesterday and couldnít eat anything. A great way to go on a diet!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 PM
Tom Cat

I'm so glad!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Why do some neighbors have to be such jerks when you are looking for a missing pet?!

Our one cat was gone for almost 24 hours on Thursday, coming back in the early morning hours of Friday and I was so relieved to see him. Then on Saturday I get up and one of our other cats isnít around. Once again, not unusual for her not to be there when I get up but 3 hours later and she hadnít shown up at all which is very odd. She has a tracker on her so I go out and look for her. I walk all the way down our street and get nothing. I come back on the other side and start getting some pinging. She doesnít have a GPS collar, just one that can track her up to about 400 ft or so and goes from red to green depending on how close she is. A house 3 doors down on the other side of the street seems to be where sheís at so I go back home relieved that she is nearby and should be back soon. An hour later she still isnít back so I go out again and ping her and get her in the exact same place so I am starting to wonder if she got in their garage somehow. I donít know the people that live there, but another neighbor of mine said that the husband came over to her house and was very hostile towards her about her cat being in their yard at one point so she no longer lets them go outside. There was a car warming up in the driveway so I assumed someone would be out soon as I didnít want to knock on their door at 8AM. The guy came out and I told him that Iím looking for my cat and that I was getting pinging right around his house and was wondering if he had the garage door open at all early this morning. Well he was very smarmy to me and for some reason thought what I was holding was a garage door opener and not a tracker and for some reason seemed to think I was trying to sell him one and goes ď No, our garage door opener is MUCH more sophisticated than thatĒ and kept on walking to his car. I explain that this isnít an opener but a cat tracker and I thought he said to me ďWhere are you at?Ē meaning where do I live and I started saying I live up the street and he cut me off and said very curtly ďNo, where is the cat at?Ē Well I just explained to you that it appears to be around your house, but I say that again and ask if I can look in his backyard. He says to me ďIím late for work! Go ask my wife.Ē Good god! I go and ask her and she lets me go into their backyard. The cat isnít there but it is beeping towards green so it should be nearby. I go around the side of the house and it is totally green meaning it should be right there but it isnít. I canít even hear her tag beeping. I then lift up a wood panel that is over their crawlspace and hear a faint beeping and a meow. She comes out from under there. I have no idea how she got in there as the opening was very small before I took it off. I was so happy to find her but am hoping she never goes around that house again because I donítí want to have to deal with him again!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:42 PM
Premier Cat

Oh boy!! some people!! Thankfully you had a tracker on her and were able to get her, but things might have turned out differently if you didn't have that tracker. Whew! thank goodness you got her back. I don't let my cats go outside, unless it is in their cat stroller. I've had a bad experience many years ago when two dogs attacked my oldest cat and later he died.....so since then never have let my cats go outside. You never know what will happen. There is a family of coyotes that live in a local park in our town, and a lot of cat owners have lost their cats to them over the past few years.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:59 PM
Jr. Cat

Yeah, that guy could learn to use some empathy.

Our newest kitty Olive was outdoor-only when her "owner" moved away and we decided to adopt her. Found out a few weeks later she had been tagged right above the eye with a BB gun and it had healed over. The saddest part of the whole e-vet visit was how casually the vet mentioned that she sees it all the time. People can be evil. That instance combined with watching her cross our very busy street one afternoon made us transition her to an indoor-only kitty. As long as we play with her enough and give her a lot of snuggles she doesn't seem to miss her outdoor life much, although I think we got lucky in that.

It's a tough balance between keeping them safe and letting them experience the outdoor world. Love that you have a kitty locator and know where she is! Hopefully she finds better places to explore next time. Glad you got her back safe and sound!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 04:58 PM
Cat Addict

So great that you have a tracker and found her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page