Another urine marking problem. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Another urine marking problem.

Ok this is an on going problem for a male cat that is in the household. He was my friends cat but my friend passed of cancer in 2010. His cat, male named "KITTY" has to be pushing 20 years old and he is an old guy who is showing his age by refusing to groom and we have a 5 year old male in the house also they dont fight but tolerate each other.
Kitty has been checked out for any medical problems that might make him urinate on inappropriate places so that is covered. Thought he might be stressed but after 8 years I think he would have gotten over any stress. He walks the house, sleeps in favorite spots and there is no hiding or slinking around.
He loves to urinate on any throw rug or my daughters shoes or her clothes. I have washed everything with enzymatic wash to eliminate any orders and I have sprayed the rugs daily with everything from lemon oil to rosemary oil, peppermint oil and cinnamon oil and even Ortho "Animal b Gon" Its safe for animals. Even sprayed with cleaning vinegar and nothing will deter him. If the spray is fresh like less than two days old he seems to stay away but Im going through this stuff fast and I can keep up the pace. The litter boxes he does use and has no problem getting in them and I have seen him use it without complication
Is there anything I can do to stop this behavior or repel him from the throw rugs?
BTW he is inside cat only. He does not like the outside.

Last edited by v194; 03-05-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 05:28 PM
Premier Cat

The simplest solution I can think of is to not have any throw rugs on the floor anywhere, and tell your daughter to put her shoes in a box or somewhere on a shelf, and not leave any clothes on the floor. Surely, if the cat pees on her clothes that should be incentive to hang them up or put them in a laundry basket.....yes and have laundry basket off the floor too, on a shelf or somewhere the cat can't jump up to it. Get some Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter.....and sprinkle it liberally on top of your present litter. Hopefully, this will re-train Kitty to use the litter box consistently. Twenty years is a great age for a cat and since stress isn't a problem with him, Kitty may be having a little dementia well, so you may have to give him some leeway if he doesn't consistently use the litter boxes. Hope these suggestions are helpful....all the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-06-2018, 06:00 PM
Premier Cat

Non-grooming often comes with a very old cat. Most cats like the feeling of being groomed, so I would try grooming your old guy....if he's shorthair use a pet brush, a polished steel comb with finer teeth on half of it and wider teeth on the other half, if he's medium or longhaired. If he's not used to grooming, start with his cheeks and let him rub his face on the comb or brush. Gradually work down his back and sides, omit the tummy as he may be too ticklish. Only proceed as long a he is enjoying the experience, stop if he shows resistance. Always give him a treat at the end of a grooming session (keep it short 3-5 mins.). Hopefully he will enjoy the grooming and it will be something for him to look forward to having done every day. This is a good bonding experience between you and the cat.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 09:40 PM
Kitten

A few things you might try if you haven't already:

~ Even if he doesn't seem to have trouble entering/using the litter box when he actually does use it, he could still be having some pain or discomfort when he attempts to clear the entryway into the box. It might be worthwhile to lower the height of the opening to the litter box. I did this for my 19yo kitty when he developed arthritis. I just purchased a storage box from the hardware store and used utility shears and a utility knife to cut an opening with low clearance.

~ If you recently changed litter brands...change it back to the brand that you noticed Kitty was most compliant with. If you change litter brands due to cost considerations (brands that are on sale or discounted) try to stick to a brand that Kitty is not only interested in, but that also has small granules. Senior kitties can develop sensitive skin/paws just like us as we age. Coarse litter can cause discomfort and cause cats to become non-compliant with the litter box. Dr. Elsey's "Cat attract" litter is an option...but it's slightly pricey.

~ Lastly, and this is pretty important if you haven't already applied this principle to your household, you should have 1 litter box per kitty PLUS one more. So if you have 2 kitties, you should have 3 boxes.

Good Luck !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page