Grooming question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Grooming question

Hi all. If you haven't seen her before, this is my cat Ziggy (her shelter name was Emily). She's been with me a little over 2 years now and she's super affectionate. About 2 weeks ago, I noticed a mat in her fur on her back. More recently, I've noticed that her fur feels kind of sticky instead of her usual soft fluff. Once I started thinking about it, I can't recall the last time I've seen her grooming herself. She certainly hasn't done it since I've been paying attention, but at the same time I'm not watching her 24/7. I'm not noticing any other behavior changes, she still eats and drinks fine and uses the box. She is quite active and loves both playtime and snuggle time. She grooms Freyja (my other cat) from time to time. She used to let Freyja groom her, but I haven't seen Freyja try this recently enough to know if that behavior has changed. She's never liked me brushing her.

I took her to the vet, who did an exam and suggested watching for behavior changes. Her exam was normal including her temperature and heart rate and she has kept the same weight. She has a history of pillow foot which has been in remission for about 18 months (her behavior at that time was decreased playfulness and limping). I'm trying to encourage her to be brushed, right now just letting her rub it with her face and giving her lots of treats just having it in my hand and gradually getting her used to it. I'm worried that this is her way of telling me she doesn't feel well and contemplating asking the vet for bloodwork. Does anyone here have input regarding grooming behavior or lack thereof?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-02-21 07.23.47.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	122249  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 02:01 AM
Premier Cat

Oh my goodness, look at the cutie checking out her cute self!

Hm, Ziggy looks like a short or maybe medium hair? I wouldn't think they'd be prone to mats. Where exactly is the mat? Maybe there's some pain somewhere that's making it uncomfortable for her to reach that spot?

I'd say that maybe she's just not a big groomer - Celia isn't - but the fact that her fur feels different to you might reflect that she's not grooming the way she used to.

What kind of brush are you using? My Margaux would not tolerate brushing at all, but she liked having the area around her head and under her chin combed with a flea comb. That's what I use for Celia as well. I remember that some members said that a human brush with plastic bristles worked for their kitties that hated all other kinds of kitty brushes. The only way I could get any kind of grooming done on Margaux was to lightly wet my hands and run my fingers through her fur. Obviously that wouldn't get to the undercoat, but it did at least get rid of all the loose fur on top. And wow, during the summer, that was a LOT of fur!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Tom Cat

Thanks for your reply Sprite! Since the last time I posted, she had a nasty round of GI distress and without getting too graphic, we found a reason she might be feeling poorly. She actually ended up pretty messy with bodily fluids, and wet towels just weren't doing it for either of us so she ended up getting a tub bath. She did amazing in the tub and didn't fight at all. Hopefully she feels better now that we are addressing her tummy; fortiflora is wonderful stuff. Her fur is back to its silkiness, although she still has the mats (they are on her back just above her tail). My guess was her stomach was bothering her so she didn't feel up to twisting around to reach her tail.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018, 11:58 AM
Premier Cat

Hope that was the end of her problems....she certainly looks beautifully groomed in her photo----gorgeous Celia! and she knows it!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page