Relocation Depression - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Question Relocation Depression

Hi everyone, it's been a while since I posted here but knew I could turn to you guys for advice.

My beloved Lilah, now approximately 10 years old has moved with me to our own apartment. Previously for almost 5 years we were living with my son and she spent a lot of time with him in his room.

(the back story to that is in October 2016 mom decided hey let's get a kitten - while Lilah wasn't mean to him, she definitely didn't much play with him or find his presence enjoyable so she kind of took to hiding out in my son's room where he spends most of his day/night)

So now it's just me and Lilah, and I understand it's a huge adjustment for her, the biggest thing being that she no longer can go outside as we live in a high-rise. I'm (trying to) grow some grass from seed for her because she loves to eat grass. She would sit at our door and meow just to go out so she could eat the neighbor's long grass and I would take her and the other cats out into our back yard where she'd walk around, lie in the sun etc.

I have purchased "safe" houseplants for her to gnaw on, but she pretty much ignores them. So there's the grass thing, but I know too she misses my son "her boy" although I pay attention to her obviously and you'd think she'd be happy to not have Francis (the kitten who's now going on age 2) and the other stray adoptee indoor/outdoor cat around, but you know how that is: Sometimes even the people and similarly cats who irritate you, you miss them in a way when you leave your job or whatever. So it goes with Ms. Lilah

I work ONLY on the weekends, so she has me all to herself pretty much all week long. When I do go to work, I leave the television on with voice shows or music. I don't have a long commute so I'm home relatively quickly.

So I'm looking for suggestions and advice on how to wait out this adjustment with her and what I can do to make her happier. After 8 years with this girl, I'm in love with her you know, not just love her. Every day I see her and my heart soars with happiness. Her contentment is all that matters really, even to the point that if that wasn't being with me, I'd let her live with someone else. Unfortunately my son (Lilah's ex-house) isn't really an option because if he doesn't find a roommate, he will likely have to move out of that place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilahside_Small.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	122289  

Last edited by marie73; 03-08-2018 at 03:13 PM. Reason: language
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 02:54 PM
Jr. Cat

What a beautiful kitty! It's a shame she's having such a tough time. Anyway you could train Lilah to walk on a harness and leash? Are there outdoor places where she could walk with you nearby? I have never tried leash-training, but maybe it would be a good compromise.

We just adopted a 2 or 3 year old cat that was outdoors only, and transitioned to her to be indoors-only. Fortunately in this case, she was more addicted to people snuggles than outdoor time. What we started doing was anytime we saw her get restless and run around to try and go outside we played with her a lot using an interactive toy. Trying to make the indoors as exciting and fun as outside.

We also gave her a huge cat tree, and places to climb/explore on. She also has access to two windows that she can watch "cat tv" from, which doesn't seem to trigger any wanderlust (at least for her).

Our other two indoor-only kitties also lived in high-rises. I don't know what kind of windows you have, but we would crack them open so the cats would get the smells and sounds of outside. To protect against any accidents, we attached screens onto the windows with Velcro (the windows opened at an angle, and we were worried the cats would fall/jump out).

I'm sure she will get used to her new life, hopefully soon. It's a big change. Good luck!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2018, 12:01 AM
Cool Cat

i was also going to suggest trying the harness and leash. that might solve at least that one issue of missing the outdoors. hopefully your son can come visit sometimes, too. i don't know if that would help. maybe some of your friends can come over and visit, too. maybe some new friends will give her a distraction and make missing your son more bearable for her.

and i certainly know what you mean about your heart soaring with happiness just seeing her. i feel the same way for my girls. bet most of us here can empathize.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page