new cat - introduction issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

new cat - introduction issues

Hi- I found this site because I am in need of serious well thought advice. we have 2 indoor cats that were bottle raised. They are now about 5 years old. We recently as in 5 days ago brought a new cat in, after having tests, vaccinating and confirming she was spayed. after a couple of days of through the door introductions, we did the full introduction. The 2 were curious, guarded, a little hissing-the new was scared, intimidated, and even less hissing. Things went to everyone watching everyone and passing each other. Last night, the new cat started her "attacks". first was our female and it was nasty and brutal, she went after her again this morning. While sitting here typing this, she strategically planned, no joke, a air strike on the male. She maneuvered on top of the furniture until she was poised and pounced. when is it time to say enough is enough? my 2 are not used to aggression, fighting or being attacked, but i so want things to work for this homeless little girl, who by the way was dumped in our cul-de-sac at the end of november and had to fend off the bully neighborhood cats until we took her to the vet and tried to home her. Please help me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 06:38 PM
Premier Cat

Ahhh, the infamous cat introduction problems. Yes, I know them well. I have used, since working at a cat only vet for the past year, two great products that you buy over the counter. The first is a calming pheramone that you can plug in. One of many brand names is Fel-I-Way. The problem is that the air has to be relatively static, as in no open windows or running AC or heating. You need one for every room in the house but that gets a bit pricey. The second is a calming med called Zylkene. I got mine from Amazon. It helps take the edge off anxiety. I cannot for the life of me pill a cat so I open the caps and mix with water then use an oral syringe to put it in their mouths. It really does help! I have 8 grumble butts living here now and there always seems to be one issue or another going on and the Zylkene or the plug ins work wonders until they get used to the others.

Cat owners' prayer: "Lord help me be the person my cat thinks I am"
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-14-2018, 07:40 PM
Jr. Cat

How intense are the fights? Have they drawn blood, are claws out?

I am going through my own introduction issues, not dissimilar from yours. Two older resident cats (10 and 7) and new 3-year old Olive. Our main issue is the 7-year old, Gohan, being territorial and chasing the newbie. Lots of people here can probably give better advice, but this is what has been working for us. We are on month 4 of integration, and things have been getting steadily better (if slowly).

1. We tend to keep the new cat in her safe room with the door closed at night or when we aren't home. Saves us some sleep and doesn't let unsupervised fights break out.
2. Anytime you have interactions, try and tire all the cats out first by playing individually with them and feed them a snack so they are more mellow. Then have supervised visits and try to distract the cats with treats, attention or more playtime if they start getting tense. Let them choose when they want to leave an area if they need a break (and make sure they have a safe path to do so). Go at their pace.
3. If they can be in the same room without fighting, try a group play session followed by a group meal. We can't get fully there yet, but we first play with Olive, and then we move upstairs and play with the other two. She will usually come up watch from the corner. When we bring out the food, there is a magical peace where no one fights or chases and they can all eat in a group together. After they finish they drift apart and go their separate ways.

Feliway didn't work for us, because I think our house is too drafty/breezy for it to have much of an affect. The chases for us has been so frustrating and stressful, but it has been getting better. It's definitely possible, but it may take a lot of time and effort. Good luck, it's definitely wonderful of you to give her a home. She probably is used to fending off other cats and don't know these guys could be friends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page