Need advice! 2 kittens knowing each other. - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Need advice! 2 kittens knowing each other.

Hi!

I have a 6 month cat (Cleo) and recently a kitten (Nami) of 2 or 3 months, both female.
The kitten stays in my room where she eats, drinks and uses litterbox, while the older one in the rest of the house. This is since 12/03.

For the first 2 days Cleo and Nami have no direct contact, but they were sniffing their scent on things like my shirt, towels, trousers, my hands, etc. As I expected, Cleo hissed and growled everytime she smelled something with Nami's scent. I did some scent swapping so she get more used to it.

By the third day she stopped hissing but there was some little growl.
It was the 16/03 she didn't hissed or growled at things so I decided to open the door. At first she hissed to Nami then she started to hiss less and just growl something.
Nami didn't hiss or growl when Cleo was around looking at her but she did whenever Cleo was very close hissing or growling.

Now, Cleo approaches to Nami without fear (i think) and sniffs her closely. BUT she is always trying to tap her with her paw. Everytime I open the door she goes under the bed looking for Nami and taps her. When Nami goes to the living room to explore, Cleo is there to tap her and sometimes Cleo lies on the floor like if she were going to roll on the floor and tries to tap her.
Nami hisses/growls and even taps Cleo in return.

Should I close the door and wait for Nami get used to the new life or keep the door open and supervise their encounters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAM00415.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	122385  

Name:	IMG-20180315-WA0013.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	122393  

Name:	IMG-20180308-WA0004.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	122401  

Name:	CAM00410.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	122409  

Last edited by marie73; 03-19-2018 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 04:48 PM
Jr. Cat

If there hasn't been any actual physical altercations I think it should be okay...When I introduced my second kitten to my first one it was the same way...Stella would hiss and growl at anything that smelled like Toby. It took about a week of her smelling him through the door and seeing him through the glass door to realize he was there to stay....One thing I did do was let him out and then put her in the room that Toby was staying in...That way the new cat could explore the house without Stella bothering and that way Stella got to explore and smell the room Toby was in....After a week I started "Supervised Playtime" where I would play with both of them and give lots of treats when they got along and there was no hissing or growling. And soon after I think Stella realized how much fun it was to have a brother. I think the tapping is either them establishing the pecking order or just playful. But it seems to be going well I think you're doing a good job
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thank you for answering!

I putted Cleo in the room where Nami was staying. Now Nami is exploring the house, getting scared at any noise and exploring again.

Gonna let them see for some minutes a day, lets see how it goes

Last edited by marie73; 03-20-2018 at 12:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018, 06:08 PM
Jr. Cat

That's great! it's better to let the new kitty explore without the presence of the other cat just because I feel like it is less stress for them. Just do that a few times and then you can have supervised playtime a few times a day and make sure you give lots of pets and loves and treats to both when they are behaving I think they will be best beds in no time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page