Growling??! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-20-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Growling??!

Has anyone else's cat ever growled...But not at another cat or animal but at humans? For example this morning I had a service man come and knock on my door to let me know they were going to be cutting some trees next to my apartment and that I needed to move my car. I answered the door and my male cat ran up and sat down next to my legs as I opened the door and growled at the guy...but full on low growl..
why would he do that?? he's not a dog and he doesn't growl at my friends or parents that come over but he growls at certain random people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 04:07 PM
Premier Cat

Some cats are just protective like that, and some are scaredy cats that run at the ring of a doorbell and hide under a bed. Not unusual.....I've had a growler cat too, only it was a female and she hated dogs.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-21-2018, 05:03 PM
Cat Addict

My daughter had 3 cats and one who seemed like the biggest lover with them, growled at some people and even a pet sitter who was there to feed them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-22-2018, 08:54 PM
Kitten

My cat growls all the time....

Is that weird? lol
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

I guess I find it weird because I have never owned cats before, therefore I guess I ignorantly assumed that only dogs growl at people they dislike LOL!
And my cat never ever has growled at me so I have never heard that noise come out of him except when there's a stranger at the door..usually always male.

Last edited by marie73; 03-26-2018 at 03:14 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 06:27 PM
Cool Cat

I would be interested in knowing the history of your cat. How old was he when you got him? Where had he been before?

Many cats will not do the Growl/Protect thing, but some do. It sounds almost like your cat has had experience with strange men! I had a little dog who was adult when he came to me, and he was that way. He was actually rather spooked by strange men and would growl rather than bark.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2018, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Well that's the thing...I adopted him from a shelter where they told me basically he was a male tabby and 11 weeks old...His shelter name was Mr. Grumpy so I assume he was not the friendliest but he is a total snuggle love bug with me and total mommy's boy. He tolerates my mom but does not want anything to do with my dad. He growls at the gardeners when they walk by my bedroom window and then as stated before at strangers who I open the door to. Not sure why its very strae

Last edited by marie73; 03-27-2018 at 12:58 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 08:34 AM
Cool Cat

Well, sounds like he's appointed himself your protector, which is rather endearing! And it may tell you something about people who come to your home. Or it might just be that he's made his choice: women. It's a charming attribute, as long as he isn't *attacking* all men! Your dad would certainly not appreciate that.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hehe I guess I never thought of it in that way that maybe he just loves his meowmy and doesn't want anything to happen to me and no haha he doesn't attack my dad he just looks at him and runs into my bedroom under my bed and waits till he hears me say bye and close the door and then hes back to running around..and with my mom he does not run away from her but when she does manage to pick him up he plays dead in her arms haha it is the funniest thing to watch and my poor mom gets so offended because she has always loved on them since they were little.

Last edited by marie73; 03-28-2018 at 03:53 PM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 03:35 PM
Nan
Cool Cat

My cats growl. Usually at a dog outside, but sometimes when a truck pulls up in or near the driveway. I think it happens if they are startled.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page