16 yr old Calico frequent meowing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

16 yr old Calico frequent meowing

Hello all, My 16 yr old Calico, 'Tiger' (I know, original name, isn't it? lol) has become very vocal in the past year or so. It seems to be getting worse. She will wake me up during the night meowing. She will follow me around the house meowing. She always has dry food in her bowl, plenty of water, and always a clean litter box. I have let her food run out occasionally and she will meow at me when that happens, but once I fill up her bowl she quiets down. Other than that I can't figure out why she is so vocal. I give her all the attention she will allow me to give. She is not a 'cuddler', and will not let me hold her for more than a minute without wanting down. But she will occasionally jump up in my lap and lay down for a nap. But it is always on her terms, like most cats, I suppose.

A little background on her: I am retired from a local hospital and one day about 15 yrs ago a nurse asked me if I'd be interested in a cat. She told me that she was a stray, about 6 months old, so I figured she may be feral. She loves the outdoors unless it's cold or rainy, then she'll voluntarily stay inside. But during the summer, or when it's warm, she prefers to stay out. She loves to be petted, scratched, rubbed on, and played with, but she hates being picked up and held. Do cats meow for attention when they get older? Or could it be that her arthritis (I mentioned this in my Introduction post) in her right front leg/paw is bothering her and she is hurting? I took her to the Vet and she didn't think it was anything serious. If anyone can offer any answers they will be much appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018, 08:17 PM
Cat

Red flag for me is the night yowling, I would get a 2nd opinion

~Good luck

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017

Last edited by marie73; 03-25-2018 at 05:27 AM. Reason: cannot link to other cat forums
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

DizzysDad,

Thanks for the article. She doesn't seem to have any visible or noticeble physical or cognitive impairment. On her last Vet visit they didn't do any bloodwork, which kind of disappointed me considering her age and the fact that she hasn't had a blood test for a very long time. She doesn't exactly 'yowl' at night, it's just a regular meow like she does during the day. She has yowled at times, but very rarely, and every time I put her in the carrier to take her to the Vet. She yowls and screams the whole time. She seems to be getting very clingy and wants to be petted often. But like cats do, once she has been petted enough, she will quiet down and either play or lay down for a nap. But she's either napping or bouncing off the walls, usually nothing in between. Very hyper for a 16 yr old. Last time I had her at the Vet they had a chart on the wall for dogs and cats age compared to human years. According to the chart a 16 yr old cat is equal to an 80 yr old human. I hope I'm as playful when (and if) I am 80!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-25-2018, 03:25 PM
Kitten

Hi Gary~
Given her age, and since the vet didn't check labs at your last visit, I think it would be a really good idea to have her thyroid checked. All together, increased vocalization, increased appetite and increased activity in a senior kitty may indicate hyperthyroidism. Best of luck!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-27-2018, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Can Opener AC,

Thanks for your advice. I will make an appointment with the Vet to have a complete workup done on her. I still don't get why they didn't do it the last time, which was about 2 months ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page