Bonding with cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Bonding with cat

So, with the dog, I've pretty much got it figured out. We take walks, we go on hikes, we go to stores, visit the dog park. We spend time together, he gets to do new things, we're both happy.
Shadow, my cat, is less portable. Even though she used to live out there, she is not a fan of the outdoors. Or new places, not there's a lot of places to take a cat.
How do I bond more with her? Just petting and hanging out? She's my first cat, I don't know anything. Lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 AM
Jr. Cat

Interactive toys are great (everyone recommended Da Bird and it?s the best toy I?ve ever used). Whatever toy you have, move it around like it?s a small prey animal. Snuggle time and hanging out is important, but at least 15 min per day of one on one, engaged playtime with a toy really helps bonding. After you are done playing, feed a snack or meal to her so she feels like she just hunted.

Another bonding thing is the ?slow blink? that Jackson Galaxy recommends. Relaxing facial features, slowly blink at her and then politely turn your head a little. It tells her that you are not a threat and are friendly. Cats do this in the wild to each other, and it?s a great way to speak ?I love you? in cat.

As a kid I?ve always had dogs too, and so living with cats was also new for me. They are quite different! I started watching the show My Cat from ****, and even though we don?t have kitties with behavior problems, I learned so much about cat language and behavior from that show.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 10:07 AM
Premier Cat

I've used a pet stroller for quite a few years now, and my cats love it. They miss their "walkies" when the weather turns too cool here, which pretty much means that it's only warm enough (at least room temp 72F) from May to October. If she's nervous about the "outside" because of some scary experiences, a pet stroller would give her a feeling of safety knowing that any dogs couldn't get at her. If you get a stroller, just do short walks at first on quiet streets (or a park or cemetary) without a lot of traffic, as motorcycles, noisy trucks, etc. most cats won't like. If you walk the same route for a while, the cat gets the feeling of patrolling a territory which it would do if it were feral. Mine really enjoy the sights and sounds of wildlife---squirrels, birds, and the different scents in the air and the sun. It gives them a break from their usual routine, and they look forward to the rides to extent that they hop in the stroller and meow to be taken outside. Right now, they're a bit frustrated because they can hear robins and redwing blackbirds singing, and they know it's time for them to go outside again, but our temps are still not warm enough yet.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 03-29-2018 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Another bonding experience.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page