cats not getting along - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2018, 08:50 PM
steph42266

Smile cats not getting along

Hello! Where is spring here in Indiana???? We had 10 inches of snow a week ago???!! Our fur babies are Kali who just turned 2 yrs old....a tortie. And we waited too long to have her spayed and she became a mama at exactly 1 yr to 4 healthy babies.... 3 boys and 1 girl.....we kept 1 boy and he is an orange striped tabby sweetheart named Killian. After she was spayed and then Killian was neutered, she was VERY hissy and not tolerant of him. After a few weeks, she started being loving to him..grooming him and playing/licking on him. Then, a month ago, we lost him for a week. It was traumatic. He wandered off and a neighbor saw our signs and we got him back. Well, Kali (Mama) could've cared less! She was hissing, batting at him...didn't want him anywhere near her...just like when he was 5 mo old! He seems so sad that she is not his playmate like they once were. We don't know what to do. We have 2 Feliway plug ins downstairs and they are doing nothing to help her mood.
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:55 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

He smells funny after being outside.
I have experienced problems after taking one cat in for a dental cleaning.

What I do with mine is to separate them for 24 hrs so the offender gets the house smell back. I then offer treats together in my bathroom and separate them again, sometimes havimg them trade spaces. I do this a couple of times. They usually want to smell each other. I make them avoid that first time or two and then let it happen. If they can do that without growling, then I will feed them dinner in my bedroom, while I'm present and make them stay in the same room for the night. (I eat before putting them together so I can supervise). This is so that no one gets the idea of chasing the other, which could be misunderstood (even though they do normally chase in play)
They are back to nomal the next day.

The hardest part on me is the separation part because both cats want my attention & I get very little sleep that night...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 04-01-2018 at 03:04 AM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Premier Cat

First of all torties can be bossy and talkative (I know some others on CF don't think that the color of a cat matters), but it's been my observation as a breeder/show person of Manx for many many years is that it can affect a cat's personality. Often the judges would comment on it. Most torties want things their own way, and many are devoted to one person in the family, have cat friends they like and dislike. Having said all this doesn't mean you can't modify their behavior. First of all when Kali's son Killian was "lost for a week", it isn't surprising she didn't welcome him home. Cats recognize other cats mainly by their scent, so with all the different outdoor scents he picked up she regarded him as a stranger.... one cat going to the vet often gets the same treatment. So, suggest you make Killian smell like Kali, by getting a rag or one of your worn Tshirts and rub it around the scent glands on either side of her mouth, and also on her bum side. Then rub the scented T-shirt on Killian's head and shoulders and other parts of his body. So when she sniffs him she will recognize her own scent. Also a little bribery with treats when they are near each other and she's not hissing at him will help.....move the treats closer gradually so that they will eat them close together. Give them lots of praise for their good behavior. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2018, 02:49 AM
Kitten

Ami and Nan are right here. It's the weird smell. I think the previous advice provided is all great. I was just talking about this today with the woman who owns the shelter I got my cat from and she had also mentioned rubbing catnip in your hands and then rubbing down BOTH cats. Maybe it's worth a try if the previous advice isn't getting it to 100%

But, I think that regardless, Killian will inevitably regain the house's scent and get back to the greatly loved status he was at before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page