cats not getting along, feliway not working - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 12:06 AM
awhawhaw

cats not getting along, feliway not working

Was wondering if anyone here could help me out . My cats seem to be on edge..

I'm a recently new cat owner. Adopted 2 adult cats around thanksgiving. Gilgamesh (male, 7yo, 13lb) and Stella (female, 5yo, 7lb). They didn't grow up together so there's some fighting here and there. That's my main issue. Normally, it's just swiping their claws at each other. No blood. These scuffles usually last like 5 seconds and they walk away. Stella usually instigates it by swatting Gilgamesh when he's grooming himself or just whenever he passes by. The only time Gilgamesh initiates and becomes more aggressive than usual is when Stella is near the window he likes. And sometimes they'll both swat each other when they're using the litter. That's when I separate them because I read that cats can get really stressed if they can't use the litter in peace.

I feed them in separate rooms. I play with them in the same room at the same time so they can get used to each other (read that somewhere). It's been a couple months since I had them and I don't expect them to be best friends, though that'd be nice, but being chill with each other would be nice. I tried using feliway but it hasn't helped.

Any advice on how to achieve that? I know I wrote a lot. Hoping more info is beneficial. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:40 AM
Nan
Cool Cat

Give them treats together. Will they play with you at the same time, like say using Da Bird or a toy on a string ?

Do you have 2 litter boxes ?
Cat vs Cat (book by Pam Johnson Bennett) is a good resource.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-30-2018, 11:46 AM
Premier Cat

Your two mature adult cats likely will not change too much as their personalities and relationship are well established now. They will likely continue to have their little tiffs now and again. My main concern is the litter box tiffs. Some cats will get a real litter box territorial aggression and then will not let another cat share it. So if you have only one litter box, suggest you get two more----general advice is: one for each, plus an extra. This usually fixes that sort of problem, as long as they're not lined up in a row! Put them in different, quiet, and low traffic locations. Oftentimes, a covered litter box gives the cat more security that it's not going to be ambushed. On the other hand, some cats don't like a covered box, so get just one
of those to see if that makes a difference.

Play with the cats with an interactive toy such as "Da Bird" (fishing pole type of toy with feathers on the end) for about 15 mins. twice a day which will drain off any pent up aggression usually. Also reward good behavior when you see them together peaceably with a few treats and kind words in sing song voice such as "goood kitties!", so that they come to associate being together and behaving well is a good thing. Hope some of these suggestions will be helpful. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 12:27 AM
awhawhaw

I play with them with a wand toy. They're both there, but I'll play with one for a few minutes, then switch, and back and forth. I have 2 litter boxes. I'm moving soon so I'll be able to put another litter box in the house. I need to transition the cats for that as well.. I'll have to try using the sing voice because whenever i get the treats, they come running out haha. I understand that they have their own personalities, but is there any way for them to just be OKAY with each other? Not looking for best friends, but can walk pass another without swatting
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 07:53 PM
Premier Cat

Your cats are both at the peak of their maturity.....most cats start to mellow out once they reach 9-10 yrs plus. Yes, it can be nice if they're OK with each other, and I think they can be....just keep on with the treats and praising good behavior but remember they are animals and being a cat is often part of swatting and being swatted. That's just the way they express themselves.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page