Fixed male new behavior towards female - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-02-2018, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Fixed male new behavior towards female

I have a 9 year old fixed male Rocky. He has been acting strange towards our fixed female Lixsy. Every afternoon around the same time he will follow her, lay at the base of her tail, put it between his paws and sniff her butt. She mostly just lays there until he does it too long and then she will start warning him and eventually attack him.

They are not close nor do they groom each other but they will lay close and hang out together. We have another fixed male that she is very close with and they spend hours grooming each other. The males in our home keep their distance.

Rocky normally stays completely to himself except for this new behavior following her around like this. Anyone else seen a cat do this? I can't find any info on the net about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:27 PM
Premier Cat

Cats are funny at times....often they like to be the sniffer, but not the sniffee! What is different here is that this is a "new behavior" for Rocky, especially since he usually keeps to himself and hasn't shown interest to the extent of following Lixsy around. What I do know about cats is that they have a very high ability to smell different scents (almost as well as a dog). Dogs can detect an odor of cancer in people. So maybe Lixsy is giving off a different scent. Most cats are very good at picking up when it's owner is sick or unwell, and whether it's a scent or a vibe, don't really know, but for last few days I'm having painful back spasms, and both my cats are even more cuddly than usual. Have you noticed anything that may be "off" with Lixsy---change in bowel movements, change in her attitude (her reaction to Rocky is perfectly normal when he sniffed her bottom), eating habits, amount she eats or sleeps or activity levels? If something has changed significantly with her, then a trip to her vet for a checkup may be a good idea.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 02:53 PM
Premier Cat

The ultimate cat scan....

These are interesting articles .....

Breast cancer - My kitten alerted me to my cancer because she kept jumping on my breast | Daily Mail Online

Can Cats Detect Cancer In Humans? - CatTime

https://dogsdetectcancer.org/a-dogs-nose/

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-13-2018, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Thanks everyone. There is no change in anything at all I can see. She is eating normal, sleeping etc. I will check out those links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page