Meow question - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-03-2018, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Red face Meow question

I have two five-month-old Siamese littermates (boy and girl) and they seem to be socializing well. At five months, I can pet and hold them (but only when they are in repose, I have to be somewhat slow and crafty to pick them up and pet them for longer lengths of time) and they seem to be more comfortable around me and my mom. Not cuddly by any means, they are quite adventurous and active, so I've come to get used to their states of relaxation (which is when I can pet them or pick them up) or high-energy craziness (when they race around the room, jumping over and at each other, climbing to hard-to-reach places, etc).

However, I've done research and can't seem to find the answer to this question. I read somewhere that kittens (even Siamese) only vocalize to each other. I've certainly noticed this, as the cats will call to each other it seems (there is a quite distinct sound), because, for example, when one is not with the other, the lonely kitty will meow distinctly, and the other kitty will join him/her. But I don't think they are meowing at me yet for any reason.

So first of all, how old before a cat is no longer considered a kitten, and most importantly, is there any age at which they tend to start "talking" to humans? I realize that Siamese are supposed to be quite vocal, but so far they have only been that way towards each other.

I realize the littermate situation might make it a bit different since the kitties seem to have formed a stronger bond with each other than to their humans (me and my mom), but any help/advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018, 05:31 PM
Cat Addict

I can only share my situation. Every time I see one of my cats, I greet them with their name. Now when they see me they meow hello.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018, 05:10 PM
MWTiger

I do have a Siamese, not a fullbred but her father must have been a showcat( if they even exist? ) She fits all Siamese personality stereotypes.

Vocally, she's been a talker since earlier on. She talks to me all the time and even responds to particular words. I don't remember what age she started doing this. By the way, not just Siamese are talking. My male orange tabby started to talk after a while of seeing my Siamese get attention whenever she spoke to me. After a while he would talk to me all the time.

I think all cats can and will talk. Just try talking to them. It helps to be friends with them so they have to like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 PM
Premier Cat

Hi ScarlettSkater,
Ah yes kittens!! They are considered kittens till at least one year old!
And be prepared for them to get into all kinds of mischief!
They have lots and lots of energy, and curiosity!
Make sure to 'kitten proof' your place, wires, paperclips, wire ties, rubber bands, etc, etc, etc!!
They will find it all!

As far as 'talking' to you, that will come, the more you talk/relate to them, the more they will respond to you later!
My cats all 'talk' to me! They know certain words and respond with talking back!

Kittens are pretty self centered to start with, but they do mellow out, so hang in there!!

Sharon

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by marie73; 04-13-2018 at 01:44 AM. Reason: removed quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page