Fighting a losing battle with fur & litter scatter - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Fighting a losing battle with fur & litter scatter

I am at my wits end with the fur and litter scatter in my tiny apartment. I have 3 boys, DLH's, and can't seem to keep their fur & litter at bay without vacuuming daily (I have no time for that).

What does everyone do to help curb the fur & litter scatter on their carpets? I do have litter mats (one with holes and one that's like a rubber bath mat), and I still find litter everywhere. Their fur sticks to all surfaces, shoes, clothes, bedding etc. Even when I launder things they come out with little fur balls on them.

Did you get a Roomba or something? What about a HEPA filter? Is daily vacuuming really all that I can do?

On top of all this I have a clothes moth problem and I can tell they are loving the pet fur!

Any ideas are welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-06-2018, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

You definitely don't have to vacuum every day. You can vacuum every other day.

I have one litter box (which definitely helps with less litter being scattered) and it's placed so they can't run out of the box. Then they have to travel across three shag bath mats to leave the litter box area. I had the litter mats with holes, but they were a pain, with the Velcro and everything. I find the shag rugs work much better.

I have hardwood floors, so the litter definitely shows, even hours after I vacuum. But I definitely don't vacuum every day. Or even every other day.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 05:48 PM
Cat Addict

Fur: I have been brushing more to try to get it out before it falls out!

Litter Scatter - very unchic but I have two garbage bags spread out under the littler box. I scoop daily and I just lift the end of the bag and scoot any litter right over to the edge of the box until a later time when I just fold up the garbage bags and dump all the litter out. I then change the bags and use the old ones for garbage bags. It is on tile.

I know that having these fur friends does cause extra work. I am lazy and just diagnosed allergic to the cats so I cover all furniture and beds they can go on with a sheet that can easily be washed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-07-2018, 11:23 PM
Premier Cat

I don't vacuum every day either. Sometimes not even every week (shh!). But I keep a mini dustpan and brush by each litterbox and sweep up after I roll the litter mats and shake them out over the toilet (I have flushable litter). I try to do this whenever I see that someone's been in the box, as the problem is definitely worse if I don't sweep up frequently.

Oh yes, fur. I always had shorthairs and they still left spectacular amounts of fur. I agree with cat owner again about attacking the fur at its source. I brushed my Celia every day, and still, in the summer, if she'd been lying on her side as I was brushing her, once she got up, you could tell exactly where she'd been as there was a fur outline left behind. I used either a small rubber brush or a damp paper towel to get the fur off fabrics as soon as I could, to keep that fur from traveling. That at least generally ensured that my clothes would come out of the dryer without those little clumps of fur.

It helped that my kitties generally slept in their beds, too, so I didn't need to do this everywhere. I only focused on the places where they spent a lot of time.

Who knows, maybe vacuuming would have been faster in the long run. But to me getting the vacuum out required a lot more effort and motivation.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018, 10:35 AM
Premier Cat

With my two Devon Rexes, there is minimal fur drop. It is a fine fur that is easily taken off clothes with a sticky roller. As far as litter spread goes.....one of my two boxes is large (20"x16"x8"deep) I use an old beach towel that catches any litter off their paws....shake it against the box and then dump it in the box after a few days. My other litter box is regular size with a cover....large old towel in front to catch the litter. This confines the litter on the towel and I don't have any on our carpet.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page