9-YO Possible UTI or Behavioral? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Question 9-YO Possible UTI or Behavioral?

Hello all:
I have a nine-year-old orange tabby, and lately has been peeing on nearly anything other than his litterbox. Furniture, clothes on the floor, you name it. This, and his behavior when he does try to use his litterbox led me to believe it might be a UTI. I cannot afford the vet's. Is there anything that I could do to help remedy this. I have entirely cleaned the box and replaced his litter (pine nugget/pellets), still the same behavior. Would bitter orange spray work? Or is there a similar product that would help? Any input is much appreciated.

Kind Regards,
siouxdax/Daniel

Kind Regards, Daniel in Tulsa aka siouxdax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-10-2018, 06:51 PM
Premier Cat

Hi there,

I'm sorry you're having not-peeing-in-the-box issues.

I can't say for sure, of course, but peeing out of the box was always an indication of a UTI with my kitty. The fact that your kitty is trying to use his box also suggests to me (though I'm not an expert) that this might be medical rather than behavioral. UTIs are often painful, so kitties associate the pain with the litterbox and avoid it. Kitties don't generally start avoiding the box for no reason.

Is he not always producing urine when he goes into his box? If he's at least peeing, that's a good thing.

It might not be a UTI but some other type of issue with the urinary tract. But a UTI would require antibiotics. The vet would probably want a urinalysis, which is an added cost, though not ferociously expensive (my vet charges $40). But you could call your vet, tell them that money is an issue, and see what they're willing to do. Who knows, maybe they'd prescribe an antibiotic without an exam or urinalysis. If not, I think you'll have to find a way to make the finances work, because if a UTI isn't treated, it can lead to stones, or worse, a blocked urethra, which can be fatal. Maybe you can postpone payment, or work out a payment plan, or apply to other sources that might provide financial assistance? There may be a list posted in the stickies in the health & nutrition forum.

Please do monitor your kitty's peeing. If hasn't peed after about 12-18 hours, I would worry. Without any exaggeration, it becomes life-threatening after 24 hours, because toxins normally flushed out in urine instead build up in the body.

Bitter orange spray, you mean to deter peeing in other spots? He'll just find new places if it's a medical issue. But do make sure to use an enzymatic cleaner specifically formulated to break down kitty pee for areas where he's already peed. Other cleaners will get rid of the smell for you, but not for your kitty, so he'll tend to go back to those same places.

I wish I could offer you options that don't cost money, but in this case, I'm not sure that's possible, but maybe others will have other ideas for you.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-31-2018, 03:17 PM Thread Starter
Jr. Cat

Hello: Sorry it's taken so long to get back (computer issues). Okay, so UTI may be the culprit then. But, one thing I have noticed that I forgot to mention in my original post is that my cat tends to pee on my boyfriend's things, but not mine so much. Anything to that? And thanks for the info on the enzymatic spray; I wasn't aware of its benefits. And I'll try working something out with my vet's office. I'll update with results. 🙂 Thanks again!

-Daniel aka siouxdax

Kind Regards, Daniel in Tulsa aka siouxdax
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 02:20 AM
Premier Cat

I don't know whether the fact that your kitty prefers to pee on your boyfriend's things means something or not, It could, whether the cause is medical or behavioral. Or it could just be where the clothes are, or how soft they are, or how inviting the pile is...

Obviously, until you can get him checked out, you should leave absolutely nothing on the floor unless you want it ruined. That includes shoes. I fed a stray kitty for several years but brought him inside when the weather was really bad or when I had arranged for a vet visit. Not only did he spray every vertical surface - doors, curtains, my laundry hamper...he also refused to use any of the litterboxes and peed on just about anything that was left on the floor - in a sneaker, on two bags, a jacket, a laundry bag...I even rolled up all the smaller area rugs.

I really hope you can work something out with the vet, or maybe find a shelter that offers low cost vet services, because not only is there the danger of leaving a UTI untreated, you're probably really tired of cleaning up kitty pee. It gets really old really fast, and also expensive...My kitty's favorite place to pee when she had UTIs was on my bed. Nature's Miracle works really well to get the smell out of most things, but it was impossible to get the smell out of down comforter. Those feathers kept moving! Over the years, I've thrown out 3 comforters.

Please do keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page