Litter Box Issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Litter Box Issues

Hi! I am fairly new to kitties. I adopted my first cat in January of this year and am now fostering a kitten for our local animal shelter. The kitten is about 6 - 8 weeks. I'm having issues with her using the litter box. She does seem to use it the majority of the time, but everyone once in a while I find pee spots in the room we have her in. I was curious, will this resolve itself as she gets older, or are there steps I need to take? Thanks!

ARI

Last edited by Arianka Finn; 05-26-2018 at 06:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-26-2018, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

This is the foster kitten, Faye.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fotor_152701006507871_1527375596260.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	122918  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Fotor_152683138083452_1527375608570.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	122920  

ARI
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 01:55 AM
Premier Cat

Aaaah!!! Such a cute little bundle of fluff!!

I have zero experience with young kittens, so I don't know if this is common or not with them. I hope someone else will weigh in on that. If it's not typical, then it's definitely something you want to resolve now. Some things you might consider:

Is the litterbox in the same room with the kitten? If she has to travel, maybe she's intimidated by your other kitty?

Is she sharing it with your other kitty? If so, she may not use it if your other kitty has left a pee clump in it. Along the same lines, some kitties are supremely fussy about the cleanliness of their boxes and won't use them if they're not really clean. It should be scooped out at least twice a day.

It's not too big for her to climb into comfortably? And the litter level is enough litter for her to cover her pee/poop?

It should be in a low-traffic area where she won't be startled if she's in the box. Sometimes, just moving a litterbox can stop out-of-the-box peeing issues.

If none of the above are an issue, it might be medical. Again, I don't know much about kittens, but in adult kitties, peeing out of the box is most often a sign of a urinary tract infection, which usually clears up quickly with an antibiotic.

I hope you're able to figure out what's going on, because trying to adopt out kitties with litterbox issues is really hard...

Keep us posted!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 08:42 PM
Premier Cat

At 6-8 weeks, she is just learning to use the box. She will need several boxes available and needs to be in a Safe Room.. In a standard bedroom, we will put 5 litter boxes of varying sizes for our kittens at this stage. They have tiny bladders and, just like little kids, don’t realize they need to go until they NEED to go NOW. Lots of boxes ensures success. As she gets older and more successful at using the boxes, you can take some away. Once she comes out of her Safe Room, you will need lots of boxes near areas she goes.

...Always in my heart... Mocha....Nov. 13, 2002 - Dec. 6, 2013
.... Slave to Bengal Cats....Luna, Mystik, Simba, Komet, Meli,
Spark
, and Star
.....and a collection of kittens at various times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page