Cat Wants Our Food - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat Wants Our Food

We have an eight month old cat we got from a shelter. In most respects she is well behaved but, she just will not stop trying to horn in and eat our food. She will jump up on the table repeatedly, nothing seems to discourage her. I cannot hold a drink in my hands while sitting, she will pop onto my lap and put her face in it.

She is well fed, two cans of food each day plus dry food and water left for her to have. Any ideas why she does this and can she be trained not to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-28-2018, 02:22 AM
Premier Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post

Any ideas why she does this
Yes...because she's a cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick1946 View Post
and can she be trained not to?
Ha. Probably not, but it depends on the kitty...I had one kitty who wasn't interested in the food, just wanted to be where the action was. I would say, loudly, "NO," pick her up, put her on the floor, repeat...After the 5th or 6th time, she'd get bored and give up.

With the one kitty who did always want my food, what worked was to let her sniff whatever I was eating or drinking that interested her. Most of the time, she was just curious, and once I let her sniff, she was satisfied and wandered off. But if I thought she might like it and didn't want her to eat it, I'd substitute something else, like a piece of orange, which I knew she wouldn't eat.

You might be able to do something similar - just keep something she wouldn't like, but that wouldn't be harmful, like a glass of lemonade or a piece of citrus fruit, or something in vinegar, handy. When she jumps up wanting what you're eating or drinking, say NO, put her close to where her food is, then offer her the icky thing rather than what you were actually eating.

post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-30-2018, 05:59 PM
Premier Cat

One of my Devons is like your cat. He just will not restrain himself from jumping on a table, kitchen counter, or trying to sample your dinner in your lap. The only way we can eat in peace is to feed him at the same time we eat---in another room---with a few of his toys. When we're finished eating, then he gets to join us. Sometimes he get a small treat of chicken for his "timeout". He willingly runs to his room when he sees his food dish in my hand. That is the only solution that's worked for my family.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page