inappropriate peeing - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-30-2018, 12:25 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

inappropriate peeing

So, this is my first time ever using a forum I believe but I REALLY need advice about a peeing issue...
I have two cats, a female small calico, shes spayed but had a litter of kittens once, she was a stray but I believe kicked from a house since she was litter trained already...
The other is from her litter, male, adult now as well and has some anxiety and is much bigger than his mom, they both are rather clingy to me as well if that's important.

I live with my parents still and well, there is peeing out of the litter box in the front room of the house, on a large leather sofa and other places like corners and such.
It's only peeing, and one of them is definitely still using the litter boxes (theres two, one in my room and one in the laundry room next door.)
They both get used so I assume the peeing in their isn't the only spot one will go, I don't really believe both are peeing out there but I'm not going to toss the thought out.

We get some strays outside of our house so we thought maybe it was the mom being territorial since she isn't very open to other pets...
Lately the mama kitty has also gotten fairly rough with her son, they used to play rough generally but now she randomly bats at him and bites and meows, and has even started hissing!
The son was a generally super scared cat and I had him wear anxiety collars for a few years, like the purple ones that smell nice? But I slowly spread out the time before replacing them as he got used to everyone in the house and now he just wears a normal collar.(the safe easy release ones)

I also put calm scent things, I had in my room, in the front rooms in hope that it would deter the peeing... no avail. My father stepped around the front room shining a black light and finding a LOT of spots around. A few don't make too much sense, like they seemed akin to a dog peeing, like in the center of the room or on the leg of the pool table.
We do have dogs, two big ones and one small, they are outside dogs though but my sister convinced my parents recently to let them sleep inside at night in her room to keep out of the weather and spend more time with them.

I know that's a lot to unpack and chew through, I tried to include as much info as I can in hopes for some help. My parents make some sharp and nasty comments that I think would make everyone on this site uncomfortable and it's really grating on my nerve and mental state. I really just want to figure this out, get happy cats and fix the problem.
If anyone would spare some insight I'd be really REALLY grateful.

<3 Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-02-2018, 11:56 PM
Premier Cat

First, if you aren't doing it already remove any soiled litter (easier if you have clumping litter), twice a day. An extra litter box in a quiet low-traffic area is usually helpful. Most cats prefer a clean box and will look for other places to go if they don't have one. If your boy cat is not neutered, have that done, as un-neutered cats will mark their territory with urine and bother females---this may be the reason your calico girl is upset with him, altho calicos can be pretty bossy. Definitely, get your dad's black light again and remove all the urine stains you can find with an enzyme cleaner such as Nature's Miracle (for cats) available at most pet stores, Amazon. Perhaps one that also eliminates dog urine, as it sounds as if they are peeing in the house as well. Vinegar and water or some other formula won't work. Discourage stray cats from coming near your house----some success from using automatic motion sprinklers, but may be pricey, not sure how much. Hope some of these suggestions are helpful.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2018, 02:01 AM
Premier Cat

Hi there,

Peeing out of the box is awful to deal with.

Since you're not sure which kitty is the culprit, the first thing that I'd do is take both kitties to the vet to rule out any medical issue. Peeing out of the box is most often a symptom of a urinary tract infection, which can be brought on by stress. Because they're painful, kitties associate pain with the litterbox and avoid it. All of mama kitty's behavior could be caused either by a UTI or by redirected aggression due to the strays outside. I understand your parents' frustration and hope they won't balk at paying for vet visits. If they do, tell them that in the long run, it'll be cheaper than having to replace all the furniture and carpeting/flooring...

Once you rule out medical reasons, then you can think about behavioral causes. catloverami gave some great suggestions about what you can do and also some possible causes.

Another possibility: since you say he's skittish by nature, maybe she's blocking his way to the litterboxes. Or one or both of them could be anxious with the dogs inside and unwilling to use the litterbox. I would add another litterbox, in a different location, and possibly move the one in the front room elsewhere. As catloverami said, a quiet place, where they won't feel trapped, maybe where the dogs don't spend a lot of time, and preferably away from windows.

Definitely, the enzymatic cleaner is a must. You need to absolutely soak things before blotting up, and you'll notice a pee smell until the things are completely dry.

Please keep us updated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page