introduction issues - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-22-2018, 03:29 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

introduction issues

Hi,

My name is Mike, nickname is slisk. I've been a cat owner for a year now. I live in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia for 11 years now working for an oil company and residing in a camp of expats. Like all laces, there is a feral cat issue and we saved a kitten from sure death a year ago. Then in November my wife brought home another. That is when we learned the challenge of introducing a new kitten to an older resident cat. That new kitten was fearless and after a couple weeks, they get along very well.

Fast forward to May 19, 2018, I work at a school with a garden adjacent to my classroom. I came on the weekend to do some paperwork and entered through the garden....then I saw the 4 little heads. Not good. Mom moved them in and I was feeding and watering then in a desperate situation (very hot here, 110+).

To get to the point, now we have 6 cats. For about a week, we've kept the new kittens isolated in an upstairs room and they are living large. We started trying to introduce these guys but it is proving a challenge I'm not sure will be easy to solve.

One thing I've noticed is the two existing cats (age 1 yr and the other 8 months) are now growling at each other and they are best friends.

Any additional advice for introducing the 4 new ones (they are very frightened, not like the other kitty) to the very unhappy residents? It looks like we are keeping them all as there are no other options for them.

Help!
slisk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2018, 03:51 PM
Premier Cat

Thanks for taking in all the kittens and momacat and giving them a home. I would keep the kittens isolated in your upstairs room until they are about 12 weeks old....when they are more interested in running around and wrestling and playing with their litter mates, and are eating well on food rather than just nursing. When they get to that stage I would introduce them one at a time to your downstairs cats. You can smooth the introduction by getting a clean cloth or small towel and rubbing it all over the head, especially the scent glands on side of their mouth and cheeks, of your "downstairs pair", then rubbing the towel all over the kitty you want to introduce. Sit in the middle of the floor with kitty in your lap and try to seduce your pair into playing with a cord you drag around and over your lap, or with a wand toy. This will work better, if you do this with the upstairs kittens, so then they're familiar with game. If things are going well, always end the play on a good note, and have a few treats as a reward. Then gradually add, another kitten, until you have all four of them playing with the downstairs pair. After the kitties have grown more, and momacat has weaned them she likely won't be as protective as she would be if you introduce her too early to your two males. Eventually let momacat join the group after after the kittens are keen to play and your pair are enjoying it too. Don't rush it as this could take a few weeks or months. It may be that one of your cats may not like the group play, but they are still young, especially the 8 mo. old one. It's worth a try to see if you can create some harmony amongst them all.....the goal being that they can be together downstairs and comfortable with each other. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 06-24-2018 at 03:53 PM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-25-2018, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for some solid advice about introducing them one at a time. I should have made it clear that momma cat disappeared a couple days after moving them and is out of the picture. The kittens are about 10 weeks now and when we are home have the run of the house and are curious about those big cats that just hiss and growl. One of the little guys is fearless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page