Very nervous cat - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-26-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Very nervous cat

I have 2 cat a big orange male called Shine and a very nervous small but a little fatty right now. I found Caddie in a cage in a pet store on the counter shaking and was about 1 month ++ old...five years later and she is still very scared, she hang around me all time and on me only when I am sitting and when sleeping it's at my feet.
She only goes out when me or shine is there, jump for every little sound and when she vomit she get scared of the vomit and run away.
The problem I have happened when I pet her or worst brush her (wire brush and she loved it), this is when she start chewing the hair of her paw.
So far the only way I can prevent that is by offering her my arm then she tries to chew mine off.
Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-27-2018, 02:21 PM
Cat Addict

When I brush my more sensitive cat, I have a toy there for him to bite. He likes this one

He is also a little scared and I rescued him off the street when 7 months old. I find he likes routine, no loud noises, and he is the one who likes the cat tree and climbs up to the top box.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 PM
Kitten

I too had a very nervous kitty, Katie. She has since crossed over the bridge but I tried Feliway plug in and it really did help. It is a bit pricy, there is also a spray you can use on her favorite places if the would be better. I used the plug in in the family room and you can move it into the bedroom at night. I only had to use it through 3 refills and she was like a whole new cat. I still keep a spray for when I go on vacation, I will spray around where they hang out, seems to calm them while we are away. I do think that there my also be a collar now if she will wear it. Hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

@at owner again - Too bad, that did not work with her. She still try to chew her leg or my arm or she goes away

Last edited by marie73; 07-09-2018 at 06:02 PM.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-09-2018, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

@ KRZ's mom - I think it is more sensitivity than scared. She looove to be brush and to please her as hard as you can...almost.

Last edited by marie73; 07-09-2018 at 06:03 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 01:55 AM
Premier Cat

Hi Psyclop,

Is that Caddie in your avatar pic? What a cutie!

Some kitties are always going to be nervous, just by nature. I had one like that.

Has she always had this biting/chewing behavior? Is it only in response to being touched in some way?
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-07-2018, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Sorry I took time to answer, I wanted to observe the behavior

Yes she is. No the chewing started about a year ago, mostly when I scratch her bottom or brush her.
I have been stopping her from chewing her leg but she went for my arm or bath towel.
Cadie is the most nervous scared cat I have ever seen, lucky she has my other cat Shine as a protector or she would never go outside ( Shine is a big 19 lb cat who chase coyote)

Last edited by marie73; 08-08-2018 at 12:51 AM.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 09:12 PM
Premier Cat

Hm. Is she chewing very hard, like breaking the skin? My kitty would often lick her paw, or lick my arm, or whatever was closest to the mouth, pretty furiously for a few seconds when I brushed certain parts of her, primarily near the base of her tail or along her hind legs. When I stopped brushing, she stopped licking. And as far as I can figure, it was a positive response. I think it almost tickled, and she didn't know how to react to that.

There is something called feline hyperesthesia syndrome. Some cats are very sensitive to being touched. It can be mild or very severe, but usually, you'll see kitties with rippled fur. I don't know quite how to explain, but if you look this up, you'll find videos.

The only other thing I can think of is that she's itchy. Do you ever see her licking, chewing, or biting her fur?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page