New cat hiding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 12:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

New cat hiding

Hello!

I want to ask for some help with my new cat Vigo. I had cats before at my parents house (Family cat) and then I adopted one that at the beginning was very shy but then turned to be fine. Then I had another one that I adopted very baby and developed perfectly, totally loved her.

Now I have Vigo, he went through a difficult time as a baby since he got a car accident and stuff. Eitherway I got rescued and then I adopted him. He is strange cause is very afraid of loud sounds and everyone, now that he got to know me, I can pet him and play with him but I better not cross the line! Before I can get close to him he do this "cat sound" when they are rejecting something and then he lets me get close.

My primary concern is that he spend most of the time hidden, sometimes i take a whole day to find him (he is reeally good at hiding!) I want to know what can I do to make him feel safe and comfortable around the house! Everytime I discover him he finds a new place, so he is almost out of options, and i'm as well trying to block those hidden places.

Is this just a matter of time? What can I do to make him feel better?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Let him hide. As long as he's eating and using the litter box, he's fine. He needs his safe places, so don't block them - he'll come out on his own. I know it's frustrating, but he's been through a lot.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 02:55 PM
Premier Cat

Hi Art,
I agree with Marie, he needs his 'Safe' places!
Make the times he's out, really enjoyable for him, see if he would like to play with you, with a feather cat wand toy, or some other toy.
I have fluffy mice toys that I can refill with catnip, which my cats love to pounce on, and cart around the house!
There are small whiffle type balls, that are usually sold in the golf section, as practice balls, that again, my cats love to play with, and because they're light, and have holes in them, the cats can also carry these around.

You want to spark his curiosity in a safe, and secure way, it might take a while for him to open up, but if you're patient, you'll be rewarded!
Best of luck!

"A Cat must have three different names:
An everyday family name; A particular name;
And the name but the Cat Himself Knows, and will never confess." T.S. Eliot

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 05:17 PM
Cat

Do you have a tall cat tree (over 6 ft)? If a cat has the 'high ground' they will prefer that to hiding. Definitely use 'Da Bird' to coax him out to play from hiding spots, don't block them.
Bottom line you have to use a lot of patience mixed in with love. My current guy Charlie has trust issues from being on the street as a kitty so he still, after 9 months has his moments but has come so far. It's about small steps. I also started using Vetriscience Compusure chewables, he gobbles them up and it seems to mellow him out.
Best of luck and keep us posted!

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page