Two visiting cats 'bullying' my kitty! - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Two visiting cats 'bullying' my kitty!

Hello,
well, in the days it took to be able to post, I have separated the cats; BUT I will still ask the question and hope someone will benefit! My friend need for her two cats to stay in a place(they were living out of a car...) until they got their new place. I thought they would be fine with using the same litter-box/food/waters; I would have separated them now, but...The two new kitties were 'bullying' my kitty! My cat would just go to her 'safe space' under my bed. The other two would 'taunt' her by getting to close (there was hissing) just because it was something to do. My cat urinated a few times, half because she could not get to the litter-box safely, half because she was scared. Well, is there any ideas on what I could have done EXCEPT what I mentioned by having two litter-box/food/waters? Hopefully someone else can benefit from this!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

No....cat introductions take time....if it goes well, a week or two. Sometimes months, especially with adults...kitten intros are easier. They must be separated to start. Search this forum or Google "cat introductions" and there is plenty of advice on how to progress from there. Swapping scents, treating on opposite sides of a door, short periods of exposure, using gates so they can see each other but not etc. Cat intros must be done on the cat's schedule, not the humans.

Recommended number of litter boxes is "number of cats plus one" so for 3 cats you should have 4. Sometimes that can be weaned down over time if they get along really well.

Basically, taking in cats for a short period should always be done with the idea of keeping them separated and not introducing them. It's not worth the stress it creates.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Thanks for the info! I SHOULD HAVE no given the new cats full rain of my place for starters. Thanks for the info!!

Last edited by marie73; 07-06-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page