Cat introduction problems - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Cat introduction problems

Hi! I have 3 cats: Skipper (10), Rosie (7), and Sasha (3). They are the loves of my life! I'm excited to be here and read about everyone's little loves!

To be transparent, I really need some advice or words of confidence/wisdom. My husband and I recently took in a 4th cat, whom we call Webby. She was a stray that never left our back porch. It broke my husband's heart and I told him we could bring her in. We took her to the vet before doing so, to keep our current babes healthy. Thankfully, she's completely healthy. They estimate that she's a little over a year old, and she was spayed on Friday. So very sweet. Loves love and doesn't seem very scared of humans at all.

We knew integrating her would be difficult. Our other cats were all taken in as kittens, and I knew Webby would have a hard time adjusting as an adult cat. It has been 3 weeks, and we feel totally lost. We have followed all the rules: Webby has the entire basement, her own litter boxes, food and water, toys, etc. We sit with her for hours on end to make her more comfortable, which she does seem to enjoy. We started "site swapping" the cats so she could get used to the main parts/smells of the cats. Of course, we tried the scent swap on towels/socks. She is so sweet.

But there have been moments where Webby has interacted with the other cats. Early on, my husband insisted on his way of slowly integrating, letting them see each other. Webby growls and hisses and went as far as attacking 2 of the 3 cats. They are now terrified to walk by the basement door. I quickly put a stop to the diversion of the rules and we are back to them not interacting whatsoever, except for at mealtime. Webby eats on one side of the door, and I place a different cat on the opposite, trying to create positive association. It seems to be going ok, but once Webby realizes another cat is on the other side of the door, she starts her growling again.

My husband and I are beside ourselves. We love this sweet little girl, but she's terrifying our resident babies and we just don't know what else to do. We don't want her to be stuck in the basement for the rest of her life. I read that it takes time, but this is awful. Has anyone else gone through this? Should we try to rehome Webby? It goes against everything I believe in. I'd hate to lose her. But should we try to find her a petless home? Should we keep this up? Any other suggestions?

Last edited by marie73; 07-05-2018 at 01:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-05-2018, 09:13 AM
Super Moderator

Try allowing her to interact with only one cat as 3 against one can be really intimidating. Once she is getting along with one, try a second one...but not with the first one. Then try with both. Then repeat with #3 only. This may take quite a while.

I'd also try Feliway diffusers and some CBD oil or treats for calming.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Holly, Misty & their friend, Jake, the dog.
Onyx, Callie May, Maggie & Kobi forever in my heart.
Yes, I know I need a new signature pic...someday...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page