Cat toileting NEXT TO litterbox - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Cat toileting NEXT TO litterbox

Panther has recently started pooping and peeing right next to the litter box. He used to occasionally go pee in the bath tub if the litter was a bit dirty, but now he will go on the floor next to the box at least once a week even the same day the litter has been changed.

We have 2 boxes right next to each other and use the same unscented crystals we have used for years.

Everything otherwise seems normal with him, we haven't changed food and he eats and drinks as usual.

Its getting really frustrating cleaning it up, so any thoughts as to why would be helpful. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:51 PM
Premier Cat

It's hard to know the reason why a cat would start this behavior. Maybe he doesn't like the two boxes next to each other, so suggest you put the a box in another part of your house in a quiet, low traffic area, and see if that doesn't make a difference. I've had good results for this kind of behavior with Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter. Sprinkle some on top of your present crystals and that may get Panther interested in using his box rather than peeing on the floor or bath tub. Sometimes this behavior may be a sign of a urinary problem, or a change of some sort in your routine (visitor or new room mate, change in work schedule). Some people on Cat Forum have had success with Feliway, others have found Bach Flower essences helpful, others didn't notice any changes.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Cat

Thanks for your reply ;

I got some different litter (paper pellets) the other day and put it in one box and left the crystals in the other. For 2 days there was no poop or pee on the floor but this morning there was poop right next to the box again.

I am thinking he is being very pedantic about how clean the box is...

There have been a few changes. We moved 6 months ago but it didnt start until more recently. There are also a few stray cats around that have come up to the laundry door so we wondered if he was marking territory.

I'll see if I can get hold of some of those products you mentioned.

Thanks again

Last edited by marie73; 07-15-2018 at 08:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-15-2018, 03:07 PM
Premier Cat

Yes, that is definitely a reason for a cat to avoid his box.....cats outside marking on your house/door/window. Our houses aren't air tight and cats can smell all the scents outside; they have keen sense of smell, almost as good as a dog. That could definitely upset him especially if he is not neutered, though some cats aren't bothered in that way, others are. You could try a Bach Flower Remedies, available at most health food stores. All the best!

Bach Rescue Remedy works for a lot of things.
Bach Flower Remedies - Rescue Remedy Pets Dogs Cats Horses Birds

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 07:12 AM Thread Starter
Cat

Its still happening every day.. i made the litter a LOT deeper but that hasnt seemed to help.

My next fix is getting new litter trays as we have had these for a while now and although I bleach them regularly, prehaps they still seem dirty.

I was also thinking to put some cat deterrent outside, but would that also deter my cats from the inside ?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-23-2018, 02:28 PM
Premier Cat

I don't think cats like the smell of bleach, which can linger. Try baking soda mixed with some water instead.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-03-2018, 01:52 AM
Premier Cat

How are things going with Panther?

Just wanted to make sure you're using an enzymatic cleaner, like Nature's Miracle, to clean up? As catloverami said, kitties have a very good sense of smell, which means that they can still smell their pee even if we can't, and even if we use something like bleach. And if they can still smell their pee/poop, they tend to go back and use those same spots.

I don't think deterrent would have any effect on your kitties inside, but I also don't know how effective most of them are.

There aren't any issues between him and Happy, are there?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page