Is this playful or hurtful behavior? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Is this playful or hurtful behavior?

I have an overweight male kitty who's about 28 pounds (he's dieting under veterinarian's constant supervision) and my roommate has a small 9-month old female kitten that's probably under 10 pounds. They've been best of friends for many months, since the day the kitten first entered the household. They sleep together and groom each other often. Both cats are fixed. The female kitten is extremely vocal and walks around talking constantly. Lately, my large cat has begun trying to pin the little kitten down, biting her and using his weight in an attempt to immobilize her. The kitten fights back, vocalizing loudly and wiggling. It freaks my roommate out because she thinks my big cat is hurting the little one. However, whenever I see them doing this, I walk over and insert my fingers into the area my cat is biting; he's not breaking the kitten's skin and is actually applying very little pressure. The only thing the kitten ends up with is a bit of wet fur. Also, the kitten sounds peeved, but not in any pain, and she keeps coming back for more. Should I be concerned? Should I be reprimanding my cat? I don't want to be mean to my guy if they're just tussling. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2018, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

So even tho your cats are "fixed" or neutered and spayed, some males are still interested in trying to mate. Since your female is protesting, I would, even tho she keeps going back for more, because of male's weight I would be concerned that he could hurt her. Try distracting her with a wand toy, or other toys that she can bat around on the floor such as foil balls, ping pong balls, plastic spirals (available at pet stores), and give your boy catnip mouse, or drag a cord around behind you. Get them into more play with you or toys. If you're unsure that they'll be safe when you're away from your home, then separate them into different rooms. Looking after young cats is like babysitting 2 y.o. kids, you have to be observant and vigilant.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 08-02-2018, 01:05 PM
Cat Addict

My two started out that way and now the female avoids being near the male and jumps when he is around. So eventually she didn't like it. The weight difference you have is significant. I would be a little worried about it escalating.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page