new kitty hiding - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-10-2018, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

new kitty hiding

Hello hello!

Yesterday I adopted a shelter cat that the staff dubbed QT (Quirky Tail) for her bent tail (though I am considering Luna or Nova as new names). She was rescued from a feral colony, but they suspect that she was dumped there by somebody else as she does not really like other cats. She has been at the shelter for over four years now.

Currently she is hiding behind a cardboard box and has shown no will to come out, not even to eat or potty. I will be updating her progress as she gets used to her new surroundings!

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:10 AM
Premier Cat

Hi there!

Oh my goodness, what a little cutie (ha ha) she is!

It's wonderful that you adopted a kitty who'd been at the shelter so long. I've been considering adopting new kitties, and I've been looking specifically to adopt kitties who've spent a long time at a shelter. It just seems so sad that they've spent all this time in cages.

I'm not at all surprised that she won't come out. After 4 years in a cage, she probably feels safe in there. I would put her food, water, and litterbox in the room with her and then leave. I'll bet when you get up, she'll have touched at least one of them. I would also not push her to come out before she's ready. Maybe just sit in the room with her, doing your own thing, and not trying to get her to come out.

Please do keep us posted! Once she gets adjusted, she'll probably be a totally different cat!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 02:15 AM
Premier Cat

Hi there!

Argh, I just typed up a post and it disappeared.

Anyway, what a fitting name - she absolutely is a cutie!

It's wonderful that you're giving her a chance and a home. I've also been looking to adopt kitties who've been at a shelter for a long time. It's so sad to think about a cat spending that much time in a cage.

I'm not surprised that she hasn't come out yet. After 4 years in a cage, she probably feels safe in a confined spot. I'll bet that if you leave food, water, and her litterbox in the room with her and let her be, that you'll find that at least one of the above will have been touched overnight. I would definitely allow her to come to you first. Maybe just sit in the room with her doing your own thing, almost pretending that she isn't there, rather than trying to coax her out. She may also adjust more quickly if you confine her to just one small room if that's possible.

Please do keep us posted. I'm sure she'll be a completely different cat once she's settled in and comfortable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 AM
Cool Cat

QT indeed! Let her take her own sweet time. It must be a frightful shock, from a feral colony to 4 years in a cage to your home, gracious! Talk about needing an adjustment period! I cannot imagine....

I agree with spirite - those all sound like good ideas.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 01:04 PM
Kitten

I suggest to use calming pheromones and to touch her unless she is interested. She is very cute!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page