Kitty door with timer - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-23-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

Kitty door with timer

Has anyone used or had experience with a kitty door that has a timer when it can open or lock? If so, what brand and did you like it.
My biggest fear is the cats would get locked out.
thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:23 AM
Premier Cat

Hi cat owner,

Wow, I didn't even know these existed. If the manufacturer was smart, the door would operate so that while the door from the inside could be locked at a certain time, it would never be locked from the outside, so that kitty could always get in. And if the manufacturer isn't smart, then someone should pay me to design such a door.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

For those that may be interested, another forum had this answer:

I think you’re talking about the CatMate door with timer. The timer phrase throws me but reading their manual it looks like the same as my programmable door.

I have the SureFlap PetDoor, The SureFlap Microchip Pet Door for large cats & small dogs which has a setting where cats can always come in but can only go out between the programmed hours. It automatically locks and unlocks at the time I set. Other then the nusance or changing the time when sunset and sunrise shift, it has worked really well. I have three cats and the batteries last a good 8-12 months. It also works with their identification microchip so I don’t have to worry about collars falling off or losing a tag.

I believe the CatMate is the same in that during the timer period (set times essentially) your cat will be able to come in from outside but not go out. So your cat wouldn’t be locked outside if they came in later.

For me the biggest issue is the cat opening size, I have a 14 pound leggy cat. The CatMate opening is 5 3/4” x 5 3/4” while the SureFlap opening is 6 11/16” x 7”. So I’d go with the SureFlap between the two for just that. But I’ve also had great experiences with their customer service and the door has help up well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:10 PM
Premier Cat

Thanks for that info! That's really good to know.

Are you thinking of getting one?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I do let my cats outside and I am going to work earlier now and don't like to let them out early in case there is a random coyote. During the day I think my street is busy enough to where no one has spotted a coyote. My concern is also with the opening size. I appreciate the response.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Premier Cat

Do you mean that the opening wouldn't be large enough? I'll be it would be - you know how kitties can get themselves into impossibly small places...But whether they'd find it uncomfortable or not is another question.

I installed a cheap door (no timer) into screening but my girls wouldn't use it. They didn't like the door touching their heads, even though it wasn't heavy. I ended up cutting an opening in the mesh inside the door frame, and they were fine with that. I got the same door for my stray when I moved here, and though it freaked him out a little at first, he got used to it pretty quickly. The first few times he ran through it as fast as he could, but then later he'd stand halfway in and halfway out and not be fazed at all.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2018, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Cat Addict

I have a manual door now but it was for a small dog. They use it but don't prefer it and it is larger. Also it is very clear whether it is closed or not. If I am home, they are waiting by the patio door to come in. I think it is more not knowing what is on the other end before going out. When they go out the patio door normally, they stand and check out the yard before entering. I did buy one on Ebay and I guess it is worth a try. I got a good price. I was going to put it right next to the other dog door. We will see. I have indoor/outdoor cats at this house for over 35 years and all lived to old age. Now people are reporting coyotes about a mile away from me so I am nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page