New kitten advise - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

New kitten advise

I need to add some back story but curious about my old cats behavior with the new cat we just got a few days ago.

My old cat is a 9 year old female. She had a buddy until January when he passed. Buddy and her got along great until 2013 when a stray pee'd on our door and we didn't notice. Old female yet nuts. took 6 months to get them not to want to kill each other.

Male cat died in Jan and she had been acting weird the last month or so so we decided to get her another friend. So we are trying to introduce slowly. new female cat is in a guest bedroom. We feed them on other sides of the door and let them peek. Old cat really wants nothing to do with new cat. She isn't even interested at all. I would say she is down right scared.

New cat zipped by my going into the room and escaped. Old cat saw her, hissed and ran off. Old cat will hiss but that is about it so far. No growling or attempts to bat through the crack in the door. Its just really odd that she has no interest and seems scared of new cat when she was the dominant cat in the house for 3 years or so.

How do we go about this without the new cat feeling trapped in the back room all the time. We feel bad, she doesn't want to be in there. I work from home so I spend 5 or 10 minutes with her every 45 minutes or so.

I don't expect them to get along immediately (altough old cat got along with male cat almost immediately) but how do we attempt to introduce them when old cat doesn't care?

Again we are doing the food thing by the door, peeking, swapping to get smells around the house and what not. I guess I'm just afraid it will never work or it will take so long that I feel the new cat doesn't deserve to be stuck in a room alone 80% of the day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 02:19 AM
Premier Cat

Hi there,

What are your kitty's names? For the time being, I'll go with old cat and new cat.

How is old cat doing other than not being interested in new cat? You said she was acting weird. Kitties can grieve for a very long time over lost buddies, but since this behavior only started in the last month, I wouldn't think that was the cause.

Is she eating, drinking, peeing, pooping ok?

My initial reaction, whenever my kitties seemed a bit off, was to go for a vet check-up. I think it happens far more often than people realize that there is a medical issue underlying unusual behavior, so that would be my first step.

In the meantime, you could try a pheromone diffuser and/or anti-anxiety aids, like Bach's Rescue Remedy or HomeoPet's Anxiety Relief. They do work well to calm some kitties.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

old cat is her normal self just she started to get more attention starved I guess is the best way to put it. She as always just one of those cats that kind of did her own thing and then would come to you when she wanted you. She is still mostly like that just she is around more and she does things like try to follow us out the door or howls when she can't find us. Two things she never ever did before. She was just at the vet a few weeks ago. She is very food oriented so yes she is eating and everything just fine. guess quick answer is, she is the same just more loving?

Health wise old cat is fine (I think)

She really doesn't care about new cat until new cat wants to see her. then its a hiss and run away.

Old cat is named Kitsune and new cat is named Rinoa. Cat that passed in January was Koneko. We name them odd names.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-29-2018, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

i guess we felt she was lonely because old cat is doing the same things our male cat did after a while when we got him. About a 1-1/2 after we got him he start doing those same things. Trying to follow us out doors and if we left the house he would sit by the door and howl.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

so old cat really doesn't seem to care at all about new cat unless new cat wants to come near old cat. old cat just runs away. She never tries to be aggressive towards new cat. She will hiss and growl a little bit while running away and maybe lift a paw but new cat doesn't really try either to do anything just chase.

strangest thing to me. I would really think old cat would care more about some 'invader' but she'd rather just lay around and not be bothered which his kind of her thing anyway.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:08 PM
Premier Cat

Following you around and howling if she can't find you are definitely signs that Kitsune needs reassurance. I think you need to know why before you can know whether things will work out between her and Rinoa.

So it could be behavioral: My Celia was always a lap cat, but she needed even more reassurance and more attention after my other kitty, Margaux, passed away, even though they were never close in the 13 years they lived together. I was just thinking that also took her months before she stopped looking for Margaux every day, so it could be that Kitsune is just now accepting that Koneko isn't coming back and feeling depressed. Make sure to give her lots and lots of attention, and try one of the anti-anxiety remedies that I mentioned.

But it could still be medical: If they didn't take her blood pressure at the recent vet visit, I think I'd want that done. Margaux went completely blind when she was 9, due to undiagnosed high blood pressure. I missed the signs and later realized that she had become more clingy, even though she'd always been independent and didn't even like petting. And if vision loss due to high BP is caught early and treated, it can sometimes be reversed, or at least further loss can be slowed or prevented.

Do understand that I am completely paranoid about high BP because of my experience with Margaux, and Kitsune's BP may be absolutely fine. But my paranoia did save Celia's sight; when checked, she also had high BP. It's more common than you might think, especially in older cats. Kitsune isn't a senior yet, but a BP check isn't terribly expensive, and it's not invasive, so I would consider having it done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page