Older Cat Food Aggression/Always Hungry - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Older Cat Food Aggression/Always Hungry

Hey all, I appreciate all the help you can give me.

Bailey is 8 years old and I've had her since 6 weeks old. She has always been food motivated but lately its gotten a lot worse.

Her whole life I fed her twice a day, morning and evening. I used to leave dry food out. Now I just give her and her sister some at night just so they don't wake me up too early in the morning.

So. I'll do this in bullets.

1. She's always hungry like 1 or 2 hours before feeding time.
2. When I'm home she is always hungry and whenever I go into kitchen she wants to eat.
3. When I am trying to feed her she gets extremely vocal and jumps on her hind legs and tries to grab me with her front ones like im not moving fast enough. She is front declawed so I am not getting ripped to pieces.
4. When she is fed, she eats so fast. She scarfs it down as fast as she can. And then she will ask me for more.
5. She will usually go and finish off whatever her sister doesn't eat.

So what have I done so far.

When I am home I will split the meal into two. So early moring/late morning and early dinner/late dinner. I have also tried treats on a scheduled basis but it just makes her more crazy. I've been thinking of putting paper clips or something she won't eat into her wet food to slow down her eating but am not sure if that would have an adverse effect if she act4ually ate one of them.

So I am stumped. Please help me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator

Here's some advice given to you when you posted about this a few months ago. Did you try any of these suggestions?

Quote:
I had a similar situation. My cat was about 4-5 yrs old when I cut out dry entirely. It took over a month of whining before he adapted. What is your cat's weight? It's said to feed 1 oz. food for every 2 lbs body weight. I understand you want her to lose weight but right now she's probably WTF'ing over this change in amounts. Grazing causes a lot of problems in cats and dry food is an invention of convenience that doesn't consider our cat's real requirements for MEAT protein not soy/vegetable based. So look for a food based in that-perhaps Stella & Chewy freeze-dried to start. I feed my current guy one called Abady but it's difficult to get outside NY-NJ area. But there are some good alternatives online.

Hold fast, play with her to tire her out when she whines. Give a good treat after like pre-boiled chicken in little chunks from the fridge. After years of eating one way you're making her change albeit for the right reasons so why wouldn't she whine? I know I would!

Quote:
There are some food puzzles that can slow down her eating.
Here's a website: Wet Food Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats The "Lickimat" looks like it might do the trick.

Also once or twice a week, give her raw chicken wing tips (wingettes). They're mostly gristle and need a lot of chewing, which is good to keep the plaque off her teeth. Hope these suggestions work for you.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:04 PM
Cat Addict

A few things to think about because I really don't know.

1. Did you gradually reduce the mid day feeding so she adapted.
2. Do you need to increase the food you give her in the morning to hold her over?
3. Could she have worms?

I have one that eats like that and I realized I needed to feed him a little more than I was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 12:10 PM
Kitten

we have a cat like this. She gets fed 3 times a day. We used to use an auto feeder and I think that was a huge reason for her food behavior. We are trying to vary the times now she gets fed.

One thing that seems to help is when she is angry before food time, we play with her. She is a chill cat most of the day but that angry pre-food time she goes all out and then eventually just goes and sits somewhere until we feed her.

assume your cat doesn't have worms or something else going on, I would start with play time when she gets into that angry pre-food funk. Ours will sometimes start 2 hours before hand.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2018, 07:25 PM
Premier Cat

My first thought when a kitty's behavior changes is always to see the vet.

Is she maintaining her weight or losing? If you're not certain, and can't weigh her at home, that alone would get me to the vet so you can keep tabs on her weight. Is she showing any signs of being thirsty/drinking more than before? Weight loss, increased appetite, increased thirst, can all be symptoms of hyperthyroidism or diabetes.

Most definitely don't put paper clips or anything else that she shouldn't ingest in her food! An obstruction could end up costing you a *lot* of money, if not worse.

Assuming nothing is going on, you could make her work for her food to slow her down. One of my kitties loved to chase kibble that I'd skitter across the floor a piece at a time.

But personally, I would first want to know what's causing the increase in appetite.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page