momma keeps hiding her babies but I've confined her - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

momma keeps hiding her babies but I've confined her

Hey all.

New to the group.
We have 2 cats, my daddies boy, Jack. Ragdoll breed and precious as can be.

Then we have my wifes baby, baby girl. She is just a baby herself who found herself as a guest on that "teenager and pregnant" show. The kittens are now 3 weeks in a "dog or cat play pen". It's got the zippers, made of mesh, approximately 40inches square...exactly like a kid play pen. She started relocating the kittens where today was the best 'hide and seek' ever. We placed them back into the pen, still unzipped and momma relocated again and right in front of me. (I found it surprising to do it while I was still there). We continued to grab them as she dropped them until we zipped her up into the pen. She is VERY upset trying to jump out, clawing at the mesh but not screaming at us.
My worry....is she going to do harm or is this a bad thing to do to her? We have now locked our b-0room door so the g-kids stay out to keep it quieter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 11:03 PM
Premier Cat

This is a natural instinct of female cats to want to move their kittens to another "nesting place", to keep the "nest" clean. Suggest you put the "cat play pen" in another location of the room it's in, or another room. This may satisfy the momacat's urge to move her kittens. It's possible she could do harm to her kitties by dropping them out of the "play pen", if they land on their head.
Maybe better idea is to just have a big box for her and the kittens than a pen, with a side or end cut down so that it's easier for her to get in the box, but high enough that the kittens can't crawl out. Hope some of these suggestions will work for you.

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page