Pouncing as a goodnight kiss? - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

Pouncing as a goodnight kiss?

This happens virtually every night.

When I go to lay down for nightly sleep, by cat Smedley will cuddle up beside me.
But after a few minutes he will get up, get ready, and pounce on me.

This is not a "irritate him by too much petting or touching a sensitive spot" or anything, mind you.

He gets up and faces me getting ready to pounce. I know it is coming because it happens nightly.

Anyone have any insight into this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 12:45 PM
Premier Cat

Hmmm?.....Could he be telling you it's not his time to go to sleep, "c'mon, mom, and play with me"?
Here are a couple of options:
1) ban him from the bedroom, so you can get a good sleep, best to put him in another room with door closed so he doesn't scratch at your door or bump it to get you up.
2) Get a wand teaser toy.....with feathers on the end, and give him a hard workout with it by flitting it onto a sofa, then floor, then chair etc. so that he's jumping up and down, and have him run up some stairs if you have them, and run a figure-8. My "Fitty" loves it if I throw the wand to run after, retrieve it and bring it back for more throws. Just don't let Smedley eat the feathers! And put away the wand after he's tired out somewhere he can't get it such as a drawer. If you get him really tired out, he may be too pooped to pounce! I would try this first, but you might have to resort to letting him sleep by himself. Just be consistent if you choose the latter.....give him a little snack before you go to bed....he should be satisfied with that and look forward to going to his room. The only time my cats sleep with me is for a late afternoon nap, but I need a good night's sleep to function the next day. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-02-2018, 01:48 AM
Premier Cat

I agree with catloverami that tiring him out and then giving him a little food right before bedtime could solve the pouncing. You didn't say how old Smedley is, but it sounds like it could be excess energy, and your bedtime just happens to coincide with his wake-up-for-nighttime-hunting hour.

If you don't already have these toys, they might satisfy his hunting instinct while you're sleeping.

Some variation of this circle toy: https://www.chewy.com/fat-cat-crazy-...large/dp/53525

A souped-up version: https://www.chewy.com/catit-design-s...tm_campaign=hg

And my kitty loved this squeaky mouse that you can hang from a door: https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcos...actice-cat-toy

However, you'd want to keep them away from the bedroom, as they do make noise. My girl would bat her little mouse toys around silently while I was up, but if she wanted me to get up, or just wanted my attention, she headed straight for the circle or the squeaky mouse. Every. single. time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-03-2018, 01:19 PM
Cat

He wants more play! How sweet. I'd give him a workout for 10 minutes with a toy, or you can play a game I used to with my guy. I would put my hand under the top sheet or comforter and move it slowly so he would attack it and when he latched onto that hand I would get him with my other hand, he loved it! It's wonderful he thinks so much of you to act like a kitty.

4ever in my Heart
Dizzy my PookieMoose
June 2003- August 26 2017
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-04-2018, 05:07 PM
Premier Cat

DizzysDad, that's a perfect game in this case especially, since Smedley likes to "hunt" in bed! I would move my feet around while doing a crossword puzzle, and Celia loved to pounce on them.

It also works well with a wand toy under a towel or thin rug. Even my Margaux, who pooh-poohed regular cat toys, couldn't resist that thing-moving-under-a-sheet/towel/rug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page