introduction questions - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

introduction questions

Hi there, hoping to find a little reassurance or advice from some fellow cat lovers. I live in Lagos, and if anyone is aware there are hundreds of thousands of stray cats on the streets. When I moved here with my boyfriend we got our first precious kitten Ellah,we have had Ellah with us for 2 years now and she is almost 2 and a half years old. She is the queen of the house, spoiled like only children normally are! 4 weeks ago, I found a tiny, 6 week old, abandoned kitten in the middle of the road, I couldn’t resist but bring him home. So then there were 2, Ellah and Sunday. We kept a strict no contact rule for 1 week, the second week we introduced Sunday into the living room whilst locked in his comfy cat carrier, for short periods at a time. The 3rd week we let the 2 loose in the same room and now in the 4th week I am leaving them together constantly. Although a lot of the time Ellah is keeping herself to herself, I am trying to show her affection as she is normally a very cuddly cat and Sunday is a very needy for attention little kitten. I have witnessed them playing chasing games, in a non aggressive way, which made me think things were improving. However, if he gets too close when Ellah doesn’t condone it or even if he is minding his own business no where near her, she will very aggressively approch him and shreek and swat him multiple times. Sunday’s reaction always being to lay on his back with paws in the air. I am wondering if things will ever improve to a level that Ellah is no longer being aggresive towards Sunday, as it is really bringing me down that he might be living in fear because of her hostile attitude towards him! Thanks in advance for any help given!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 10-06-2018, 03:28 PM
Premier Cat

So Sunday is about 10 wks old now, in a very playful stage. The way I see it because he is male [Ellah] is "laying down the law and the house rules"....she's the boss and what she says goes. Often times when males sexually mature especially around 8mos. and beyond, they are getting into a transition (terrible teens) until they are fully mature at 1-2 yrs. During this transition period a lot of males, not all, but it does depend n their temperament become bullies, and want to do a lot of rough play fighting. If Sunday is not neutered, he should be now. I think [Ellah] is just making a preemptive strike to Sunday, just to let him know he has to toe the line. I think he will get along with [Ellah], as already he is rolling over and exposing his tummy in a submissive way....some kitties would not do not, but stand up, arch their back and hiss back in defiance---he's not doing that.
Try to reinforce their good behavior with play between them using a wand toy, and when they tire of it, give them a few treats so that the act of being and coming together is fun and pleasant. Give them equal loving and petting, but some cats do become jealous when they see another cat get attention and will attack the cat (misdirected aggression), and this may lead to the attacked cat feeling fearful and distressed. If you have one that's like that then, it's best to lavish your attention on the "attacked" one away from the other behind closed doors. Relax and enjoy your kitties. All the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."

Last edited by catloverami; 10-06-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page