Very Aggressive Feral Kitten - Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Kitten

Question Very Aggressive Feral Kitten

Some of you may remember that I rescued a feral kitten back the first of June. Well, he has turned out to be an excellent cat! I had him neutered and he is as healthy as possible—full of life and welcoming to humans.

BUT, BUT, BUT!!!! When it comes to another cat, and I have two elders in the house, he is an absolute demon. He is very aggressive—not playful—to the point I have to keep him separated part time. His attacks are vicious and brutal. Thankfully he is still not able to cause injury but it's only a matter of time that his skills become sharpened.

Since he is a full on feral cat I'm not sure how to deal with this behavior. Any suggestion will be welcomed...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

First, it's great that you rescued this cat. You've given him a second chance at a wonderful life.

I'm sure other members will give you tips on how to restart, integrate, etc., etc. But in the end, this happened to me. Not with a feral, but with a new cat who suddenly, out of nowhere, hated my girls. I tried for a year and a half, cutting my house, and attention and affection, in half. Nothing worked. I finally rehomed her, and she has the best life ever now. I regret waiting so long, because it wasn't fair to my girls, my new cat or myself to have to live this way. Plus, I fell more and more in love with her. Sometimes we're just the middle-man to finding the perfect home and situation for everyone. No matter the outcome, I wish you the best of luck.

Cali, Cinderella, Cleo and Charlee

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Always in my heart, my lovely Cinderella, running free at the Bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 12:50 AM
tio
Cat

Send a message via Yahoo to tio
Have you tried to re-introduce them to him in a slow and calm process. The scene I usually see in "My cat from ****" is a gate with curtain where the new/problematic cat is kept at one side and the old/neutral cat(s) at the other. They are close enough to hear, smell, or feel each other but separated enough to avoid further reactions. Then, the cats of both side are fed at the same time. When they eat their favorite food, they'd feel relax, and therefore they would develop positive impressions about the cat(s) at other side. After a week or two doing that consistently, when the cats seem to be comfortable eating "next to each other", the curtain would be removed slowly and partly until they totally could enjoy their meals next to each other. And the message I get here is that if our cats could eat together in peace, they would live together in peace. Hope it helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:05 AM
Premier Cat

Was he aggressive even as a young kitten? Some bullish kittens do go thro an aggressive stage in what I call the "terrible teens"....from about 8 mos. to almost 2 yrs. Then they mellow out and aren't as aggressive; some never do grow out of their aggressiveness towards other cats and should be in a home as the only cat....often they get along with dogs better. Many times I've seen ads for a humane society cat for adoption that states it must be "the only cat in the home". In this case, as Marie has stated with her experience, it's better for the cat and owner that it go into a different home. It's definitely not an easy decision so wish you all the best!

"There are no ordinary cats.";"Time spent with a cat is never wasted."~ Colette
"A loving cat can mend a wounded heart." ~ Unknown Author
Alkitotle aka "Alkee", "Lambie" (July 2/04 - Oct. 2/15) -- white Devon Rex
in avatar. "Always in my heart."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 07:24 PM
Cat Addict

Some cats just don't get along with other cats. I am one of those that says respect and protect your elders. Also I have two cats that don't do well alone in the house and it is more trouble to keep them separate when needed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Kitten

No doubt this guy was destined to be Alpha male of a colony . He displays all the traits. He would be excellent in a home with lots of kids. He loves to play and is very sweet. He knows where his room and bed is and wants to go there with the door closed during the day. It's only when he sees one of the other cats does his demeanor change. The strange thing is I have a 120lb Black Lab dog in the house that he loves. The play together and are all around friends. I agree with another comment, some cats just do not get along well with other cats. I'm not giving up and hope as he ages he will settle down...Thanks for the replies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Cat Forum : Cat Discussion Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page